Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
asnider

Adam's Hard Lemonade

After scouring the forums for a while, I've decided to try my hand at a hard lemonade drink.

I'd originally planned on doing two different brews: a lemonade and a fruit punch. But after playing around with qBrew a bit I think I'm going to try a single brew that combines the lemonade and some fruit punch. If it turns out well, then I'll attempt a repeat or a similar product in the near future.

Anyway, here's the recipe from qBrew. I plan to brew this tomorrow, but would love any feedback that folks might have.

Adam's Hard Lemonade
--------------------
Brewer: Snider Brewing Company
Style: Generic Ale
Batch: 2.13 gal Extract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.062 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 0 IBU
Recipe Color: 1° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.7%

Ingredients
-----------
Corn Sugar 2.00 lb, Sugar, Other
No Name Berry Bunch 0.29 lb, Sugar, Other
No Name Berry Punch 0.29 lb, Sugar, Other
No Name Lemonade 0.25 lb, Sugar, Other

Lactose 1.00 unit, Additive, 1 unit = 500g = 1.1lbs
Lalvin EC-1118 Sparkling Wine Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, 1 unit = 5g
Lemon Juice 1.00 unit, Flavor, 1 unit = 1 cup

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
1. Begin yeast starter.
2. Dissolve corn sugar and lactose in 6 cups of boiling water.
3. Add sugar water solution to LBK.
4. Add juice concentrate to LBK.
5. Add 1 cup lemon juice to LBK.
6. Top up with cold water and stir vigorously to ensure concentrate is mixed in.
7. Pitch yeast.

Batch Notes:

Interesting.....how long do you ferment? Condition after bottling? Do you prime when bottling?

There have been a few other threads that talk about this. It sounds like fermentation can be a bit slow with this type of brew but it should take about 3 weeks. Carbing is optional depending on what you want, but I'll probably do it (the recommendation seems to be about 3/4 the priming sugar Mr. Beer suggests for beer).

Conditioning time varies. It sounds like it can be fine after two weeks, so I'll probably test a bottle at that. If it's good, I'll pop some more in the fridge. If it isn't, I'll continue conditioning at room temperature and testing another bottle each week until it tastes like it's done conditioning.