Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
christler

carbonation issue

I have a porter that I bottled 2 Weeks ago. I opened 1 today and its almost totally flat, tasted good, but flat. Opened another and same thing. I batch prime using qbrew and haven't had this issue before. They have been carbing at 72. I'm wondering if I should get some carb drops and recap or just give it another week or 2. I was wanting to enter this porter in a homebrew comp in a couple Weeks. Right now its not looking so good.
Dang I need a keg....

Well, the obvious answer is to wait a little longer. Two weeks is pretty quick. Some beers might carb up sooner than 2 weeks and some might take longer. But even so, you'd want the beer to condition another few weeks even after it's carbed, anyway.

That doesn't mean there isn't something else going on. Maybe there wasn't enough sugar in the bottles to carb, or maybe the yeast was already spent, or whatever, hard to say without more info.

I think waiting another week or two is the highest probability move for now. If that doesn't work, then you can look for a plan B.

by the way, having a porter ready for competition in about 4 weeks from bottling? That's ambitious.

Beers like porters and stouts as well as some higher ABV beers may take significantly longer than the typical 3-4 weeks to bottle carb. They take even longer (think months) to peak in their maturity.

In all likelihood, that beer will not really be ready for a comp in 2 weeks even if it carbs.

Yeah I knew it was a bit ambitious. The last time I brewed that recipe it was great at 4 Weeks the only thing I changed this time was the yeast. I will probably just sit on it for a bit and skip this comp. There is another one in September anyway. Thanks for the advice.