Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FedoraDave

Felt good to brew again.

I decided to brew today. It's been two weeks since I brewed the Suddenly! Saison, and the Santa Catalina Pale Ale is a Mr. Beer recipe. Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

I didn't want to go full-on AG. It's just too hot, and I simply didn't feel like it. But I wanted to make sure the pipeline didn't get too thin. The lager fridge was set to 64 degrees, and the LBK should be quite happy in there.

Sometimes simple is better. :)

I bet it does :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Hopefully it will be soon for me, just too much work right now :angry::angry:

Tell me about it. I'm pretty busy at work, too. Plus, this past week we experienced a heat wave, with temperatures in the mid-high 90s and a heat index going up around 105.

Tough enough to go out there and earn my pay, let alone indulge in my hobby.

I kinda wanted to brew today since it only got to around 90 degrees and I don't know when that will happen again. But I have about 50 gallons of beer cellared right now. I honestly don't know how I am going to get it all drank. I am afraid I am going to have to start pouring some out as it is nearly 2 years old. So I decided to take a brewing hiatus until the temps start dropping around September.

"Gymrat" post=388377 said:

I kinda wanted to brew today since it only got to around 90 degrees and I don't know when that will happen again. But I have about 50 gallons of beer cellared right now. I honestly don't know how I am going to get it all drank. I am afraid I am going to have to start pouring some out as it is nearly 2 years old. So I decided to take a brewing hiatus until the temps start dropping around September.

That is exactly why I started "Da Yooper's Bottle Emptying Service." Too many people have been complaining that all their bottles are full and thus makes it difficult to keep brewing so I decided to solve that problem. This week's special includes FREE cleaning at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. Act fast before this offer expires.

That is why I brew my weird high ABV brews they keep forever and ya only need one to fail a sobriety test :):)

I brewed for the first time in almost 4 months myself. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

I hate to admit it, but I'm so relieved to see that others have been sidelined from brewing for relatively long periods of time. I know we like to say that life gets in the way sometimes. But I set out to brew every week, and can forgive myself if I only suceed half the time. But when I don't brew a drop for several months, I get all kinds of bummed out. I feel like a failure, not to mentioned deprived of home brews to drink. I feel for you guys that have also been sidelined awhile, but at the same time, I enjoy the fact that I'm not so alone.

Joe, I think it was Gymrat who noted in another thread that there came a point for him where brewing became a chore, and he didn't want it to be, so he went and changed things up a little.

That's kind of the way I felt. I'd been brewing/bottling every week since around October, and it started to get to the chore phase. Plus, it was getting too hot around here, and I also knew I had upcoming plans that would get in the way. So I've cut way back for a month or two. I'll be getting back to AG fivers starting Labor Day weekend, and will probably ramp up to the weekly schedule shortly after. In the meantime, I'll be doing MB batches every two or three weeks to carry me through the summer.

But it's good to take a bit of a vacation, even from a driving obsession. Starting fresh really opens some doors.

I'm kinda there myself, brewing has become a chore and I don't need any more chores in my life right now. I'm hoping to get back into it late summer/early fall.

i am actually coming out of a hiatus imposed by the cross country move so I have been doing at least a batch a week just trying to get some stuff built up but MAN is it hot here and to do the batches with mashing in the stove and then the boil - it is not so pleasant when it is already 80 in the house.

I may look in to this new Mr Beer sale (25% all recipes? OK time to check out the recipes) and do like the hat is saying during summertime. Quick and easy ones to keep the pipeline full and until the garage is ready to be a brew room - and once it gets cooler then start on bigger batches (by which time I hope to have a fermenting fridge, temp control, maybe a couple of fermenters of 5g size). Then on saturdays I can get my brew on with the early morning college football games (doh - just remembered how late everything starts out here, i hate that) and have everything cleaned up by the time Bama comes on and I can actually HAVE a couple of previous batches).

Off to check out the MrB recipe site and the reviews on here
Cheers
jeff

Jeez!

I can image wanting to slow down...even more so in this weather,

but just getting started with brewing MB, I have so much to learn and
it is fun only being the first month or two.

Glad to hear that you got a batch or two in, Dave.
MB batches are so easy, and to clean, sanitize and brew a MB batch it is about an hour or less.
I did some partial boils, and oh boy it is hot to do
But it was pretty fin being my 1st, 2nd time etc.

Bottling is a bit more of a chore, but the drainer and vinator really is nice.

Dave, I want to see you brew up your next up to bat, Roses Rambling Red....
Dont give out before then!!!! lol
I have been reading such good things about that recipe :banana:

Side lined... I must have been out of bounds! Been over a year and a half since I have brewed, got the itch again but its just too hot in the south. Im gonna get all my ingredients together for when it cools down!

I haven't been able to brew anything in weeks, been away traveling and sampling the West coast breweries, but today I did get to keg another batch of 420 Special Wheat Ale.

I would imagine if anyone has a stable pipeline that can withstand a few weeks off it is you Screwy :) So, what did you find on your west coast brweery sampling tour? Anything new to you?

Cheers
jeff