Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manowarfan1

Recipe Help - anyone had Dingo IPA or used Galaxy?

Hi all - trying to replicate a IPA that myself and SWMBO had in Falls Church Virginia last week when we were up there for a funeral. The brewpub was called Max Fox Brewing and the beer was a Dingo IPA. Here is their description. Not sure if anyone has had this one exactly or maybe just some experience with Galaxy hops. Figure to just end up doing a "typical" IPA style hop schedule if nobody has any ideas or knows anything about the Galaxy. Will probably just order a couple ounces of the hop so I can do two or three attempts over time.

Also I have no idea what their "house yeast" was as we didn't have a chance to talk to the brewer. Anyway, it was nice and tasty, and at 5.4% right in the ballpark for having a couple without dreading the after affects (a big concern as SWMBO has the Ironman Triathlon in Louisville at the end of next month).

Dingo IPA 2012 – 5.4% ABV
An American style India Pale Ale made with 32% imported English Pale malt and 68% imported German Pilsner malt. This is a light golden ale fermented with our house ale yeast strain. 100% Australian Galaxy hops in the kettle and for dry-hopping brings the distinctive citrus and passionfruit aroma. Light, juicy malt notes with a pleasant hop citrus flavors.

Any ideas? Best guesstimates?
Thanks Muchly
Cheers
jeff

Jeff,

I would use German Pils Liquid Extract (if doing an extract brew, Williams Brewing has it) or Weyerman German Pilsner (if AG, Biab, PM) and for the English malt, Muntons (dry extract) or either Optic or Fanfare if going AG, BIAB or PM ( the description says it is Light Golden so Marris Otter might be off the mark... But could work ).

For the hops, I have used Galaxy... Fairly popular around WNY... Lots of citrus and passonfruit when used as an aroma hop, I don't care for passionfruit flavor, so I usually use it for aroma, and tend to flavor with Amarillo or Citra... (I would describe the Galaxy flavor as 'juicy' and heavy on the passionfruit). You may like the flavor more than me.

BTW: Alb has said on this forum that she loves that hop!

Works as a bittering hop as well.

At 5.4%, sounds like a good one!

EDIT: Oh yeah, probably use Wyeast 1056 or US-05 as a solid yeast for this.

EDIT: I have not had the pleasure of trying this beer... Just going by description here....

Happy Brewing!

Thanks Papa for the info. Being a picky eater i have no idea what passionfruit tastes like - we read the description while having the beer and didnt really pick that out although SWMBO said there was "something" else besides the citrus so that must be what it was.

Oddly enough I forgot to order the dang Galaxy hops (i ordered Muntons for the English Pale and Weyerman for the German Pilsner grains), maybe if I call the homebrew shop they can add a couple packs of hops to the order before they process it. Guess I will get maybe 2 oz for a 2.5 gallon batch and then try to figure out a good schedule for the flavoring.

This is what happens when I try to bottle and do other things at one time. Tomorrow will be a brew day as there are a couple of empty LBKs that need attending to. Pipeline will be coming into fruition soon - as today will be the 4th batch into bottles since I got here in May and some are IPA and "drink em young" styles ::)

What a hopbby :banana:
jeff

Manowar~

I've had the Dingo there at MadFox. I liked it. Wasn't thrilled, but did like it. I would echo BigPapaG's thoughts about what Galaxy brings forward. It's a nice hop...for me moreso on the aroma than the flavor.

The description on Midwest says:

Often used as a late addition for flavor and aroma. Developed and grown solely in Australia.
Development: Brewing Usage.
Usage: Dual purpose
Aroma: Distinctive citrus and passion fruit character
Alpha Acids: 13.5 — 14.8%

A 14%-ish hop is going to bring a lot of IBUs...so an IPA or Double IPA is best.

The Wyeast 1056 or the WhiteLabs WLP001 are good here (US-05) if you're going dry yeast. I don't remember how full it was...but here's another option:

White Labs California Ale V WLP051

From Northern California, this strain is more fruity than WLP001 (California Ale), and slightly more flocculent. Its attenuation is lower, resulting in a fuller-bodied beer than with WLP001.

The LHBS in Falls Church does carry Galaxy...just FYI

Ask real nice if Christ872 will share his Galaxy Andromeda IPA recipe with you.

That is one very fine beer. :gulp:

Thanks all. I thought it was an ok IPA, nothing that really stood out in one way or another, but it was decent. SWMBO likes the 5.4% as she can't afford to have a couple of Heavy Seas or even too many Dogfish Head while trying to train for the Ironman. (anyone in the Louisville area got any recommendations for while we are there?) so I think that is part of the attraction for her. I have been trying to keep my IPA batches since I got here in the 5-6 range until this Triathlon is over (she swears this will be her last, unless she/we decide to do one for our 50th birthdays (happy birthday?) so I may crank it up a bit and do some IIPA (although she is more a fan of regular strength I do like me a strong one now and again).

Falls Church is unfortunately not a local HBS for us - I did place an order with Annapolis HBS today and may even have it tomorrow (yay), we will be able to hit that one on occasion as we are going to head to annapolis a few times perhaps during football season.

So, now the big question is will Christ872 share his Galaxy Andromeda IPA recipe :laugh: Especially if it is gonna be better than the Dingo she had :)

Another happy thought - NFL teams reporting to camp, which helps pass the time until football season starts :) College starting up soon (Roll Tide) - I am going to try to go see L'ville practice or something while down there - week before the season starts so not sure what they will be up to. May have to switch the tv here to DirecTV so I can get more Denver Broncos games, I think they will be on TV plenty but i know each week that I will have a Skins and a Ravens game (I am ok with both of those) but as far as out of market teams - not liking the odds of too many Broncos games here.

Cheers
jeff