Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

Cucumber Ale Recipe Pointers

I've been on the west coast for nearly two weeks now and have been enjoying so many great brewery fresh beers and food along the way from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I'm planning to do a cucumber ale recipe after having been introduced to cucumber water served with dinner and in margaritas.

The base recipe will be my standard wheat beer grain bill with just enough Columbus hops added for bittering. I'm not sure if any Borg members have ever successfully brewed this type of beer before, but I'm hoping to get some feedback if anyone has.

Preparing the cucumbers will involve peeling off the dark skin slicing and then dicing a pound and soaking them in Hendrix vodka for a day. About 3 days before kegging I plan to add the cucumbers to a hop sack and add them to the primary fermentor. I know it's tough trying to figure out how much and how long it takes to develop flavors and aromas and I'd rather add too little than too much.

Wow, I envy you for being able to enjoy all the the west coast breweries offer.

As for the recipe, you're a bigger man than I am to take this on but it sounds like mega-fun to me.

I've had cucumber beer; actually hibiscus-cucumber beer - HiCu from Magic Hat. It was the most disgusting thing I've drank in a while. Have you tried cucumber beer? I love cucumbers and cucumber water... Cucumber beer, not for me.

I can't say that if made a list of 50 things to brew this would even come up for discussion, but to each their own.

Well, Russki just helped resolve an internal debate I've been having in front of the store beer cooler the last few weekends.

Keep looking at the Magic Hat variety 12 pack, but the hibiscus-cucumber keeps scaring me off.

Best of luck to Screwy on his endeavour though.

Yup, had the HiCu from MH too...

Mind you, I'm not fond of MH beers in general, but I found the Hibiscus-Cucumber to be...

Well...

.Worse than them all.

:sick:

Maybe it was the Hibiscus...

Best of luck to you Vince, let us know how it turns out please...

:)

I love cukes, sliced, salted, on sammys, salads or just fresh from the garden (I grow lots of them). The thought of making a beer outa cukes, well... just don't sound appealing to me. But what the heck, if it makes u happy screwy, go for it. :banana:

I love cucumbers as well and just this last year have really enjoyed cucumber infused water and really liked the cucumber infused vodka. I am not an experienced enough brewer to offer you any insight but I am really curious about it and was doing some research. If you do brew this keep updating us.

MH beers tend to make me gag, but I had a cucumber Saison once that was ok.

At the last Brew Haha at the local micro last year they brewed up a cuke beer. It was a very light beer with just a hint of cucumber and just barely noticable. I have to agree with you Screwy that it is probably better to err on the "too little" side than "too much." If there is little to no taste on the first batch you can at least drink it as a normal beer as opposed to something that may need to be flushed.

As always thanks for the feedback gang, it's always very helpful. So far I've gotten tips from other brewers ranging from using 42 cucumbers for a 5 gallon batch to using just 2 cucumbers and I'm sure the answer lies somewhere in between.

I'm leaning towards using just 3 cucumbers, after first skinning them, then slicing and dicing them before putting the pieces in 2 or 3 large fine mesh hop bags weighted down with some stainless steel hardware so they stay fully submerged. The base malt will be a 60/40 mix of Pilsner to wheat malt using only Columbus hops for bittering.