Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jastew

New Brewer Here

Hello all.

3 + 4 rule, are you out of your minds!?!?!? Who can wait that long? I guess it's store beer for another few weeks.

Got my first batch brewing and its been 9 days. 6 more weeks of beer winter. Grrrrr.

Mine looks clear and tastes ok now. But from what I'm reading here, no harm in letting it sit for 3 weeks even if it finishes early, correct?

Looking forward to learning from you guys.

best way to tell is a hydrometer.....but im told the yeast do some "cleaning up" in that 3rd week....im guessing helping with taste and ridding off flavors

You need at least 3 fermenters. That way every week you bottle one, brew one, and after awhile you can taste a new one every week.

:chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

That first batch is tough to wait for. But, if you want good brew, that's what it takes.

Once you get the pipeline established, all of the stress melts away. If you see yourself enjoying this and drinking/sharing beer faster than you can make it, you may want to eventually expand to 5 gallon batches.

The beer gets better if you let it condition for that long. I have some that take a year to be drinkable 2.5 to 3 years to hit their peak. So patience ther my young brewer you will be rewarded!!!

hi welcome to the forum. patience grasshopper. in this obsession time is your friend, use as much as you can.

[attachment=14335]welcomebeer_2013-07-22.gif[/attachment]

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center jastew. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have Beer.
As long as you are going to be drinking commercial beer, drink recapable brown bottled beer. Save the bottles to be filled later.

Thanks to all who responded and your info.

So only brown bottles work, no Grolsch green bottles?

Plenty of folks use those but they are very careful to store them away from sunlight.

Amber bottles protect the beer from becoming "skunked". Skunking happens basically because hops and sunlight do not get along.

Warning it only takes a few minutes for beer to get skunked. :cheers:

fwiw amber bottles don't stop skunking just slows it down. so I keep my brown bottles in boxes, just like my green ones. don't really what bottles you use, unlike commercial beers, ours aren't on display. they come out only to be drank.

"Jim Johnson" post=388682 said:

fwiw amber bottles don't stop skunking just slows it down. so I keep my brown bottles in boxes, just like my green ones. don't really what bottles you use, unlike commercial beers, ours aren't on display. they come out only to be drank.

True. I even do some bottling in the clear bottles. So long as you keep it cover/out-of-UV light...it should hold off the skunking. Although I wouldn't necessarily advocate clear bottles as a main...having one or two (and I guess you can use it as a easy-colorview look-see) isn't going to hurt. Like was said, just make sure you keep it out of light as best humanly possible.

Welcome - These guys have tought me alot so far and I continue to learn somthing new every time i get on this site.

I too save my brown bottles although have a issue trying to get all the glue off of them lots of scrubbin and they save ya money concidering a case of 24 bottles is like 20 bucks nearly with shipping.

I echo jsherman's response.

When you get a chance to get more fermenters...do so. Depending on your drinking habits, you'l build a great pipeline.

With an LBK filled to about 2.3 gallons, you'll get roughly 21 or 22 bottles per batch. If you brew every week or even every-other-week...by the time you get ready to crack your first, you'll have the makings of a good pipeline.

beginning of Week 1 - brew batch
beginning of Week 2 - brew 2nd batch
beginning of Week 3 - brew 3rd batch
end of Week 3 - bottle first batch (and if you want...begin 4th batch)

When you get to Week 7, you're ready to open your first of 22 beers.
When you get to Week 8, you have your send batch of 22 beers + any of the first 22 you didn't drink that week.

If you get 3 fermenters rolling like that...you'll be, as my good friend says, awash in a sea of beer.

Welcome!!! Just FYI, the Borg has saved my butt on more than one occasion, ask ?'s and you will receive accurate, friendly advice here!

Thanks for all the great comments.

I'm ready to order my next batch and am looking for suggestions. My favorite commercial beers are Newcastle, Bass and Dos Equis Amber. With that as a guide, what in the Mr Beer line up would be a good second effort?

"Btech117" post=388714 said:

Welcome - These guys have tought me alot so far and I continue to learn somthing new every time i get on this site.

I too save my brown bottles although have a issue trying to get all the glue off of them lots of scrubbin and they save ya money concidering a case of 24 bottles is like 20 bucks nearly with shipping.

fwiw I let mine soak overnight in oxyclean. no scrubbing required

"jastew" post=388868 said:

Thanks for all the great comments.

I'm ready to order my next batch and am looking for suggestions. My favorite commercial beers are Newcastle, Bass and Dos Equis Amber. With that as a guide, what in the Mr Beer line up would be a good second effort?

Nearly impossible to match Mr. Beer refills to brand names. Lots of posts about that.

Given your tastes, I would suggest you consider Bewitched Amber Ale, Oktoberfest, and Winter Dark. Consider adding 1/2 to a pound of LME/DME to each.

Welcome! First off patience is your friend when it comes to brewing. Mr. B wants you to believe that you can make good beer in 2 weeks, when in actuality it takes much longer. You can make beer in 2 weeks, but it won't be what you are looking for. My rule of thumb for conditioning times are 1 week to Carb followed by 1 week additional for each abv percent up to 5% then 1 week additional per 1/2 percent after. A 6% beer should take about 8 weeks to Carb/condition at room temp. Then fridge 2-3 days and enjoy. This doesn't account for adjuncts such as booster, sugar, honey, or fruit which will take longer to condition. Secondly, I've used green grolsch bottles repeatedly without problems; just have to keep them in a box out of excessive light.