Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
steveabrous

No airlock activity in second fermentation

I found a recipe for a Raspberry ale using malt extract and real raspberries. Per instructions I boiled hops and extract, Primary fermentation went extremely well (too well in fact). Anyway the instructions said after 2 weeks pasturize raspberries and do a 2nd Fermentation for another 2 weeks. I did, cooled the Raspberries down to 80 degrees and syphoned in the beer leaving the trub behind. My question is this: It has been almost 48 hrs and I have had absolutely no airlock activity. I have checked and no air leaks. Is it normal to have no airlock activity in a second fermentation? BTW I used Nottingham yeast

There is a good chance that nottingham yeast might have got r done that first week

Does that mean there will be no second fermentation, and what does that do for priming? I guess that wouldnt be too bad and the respberries will just be flavoring.

Well, I wouldn't say that. Once you add more fermentables to it, that Notty yeast is going to tear right into it. Its just that now, there isnt much for the yeast to play with

I added the raspberries and 2 days latter no airlock activity so are you saying the raspberries don't give much for them to tear into?

If these were fresh raspberries they may not have a high sugar content. The activity of the yeast may not have been vigorous enough to really notice.

could be it's fermenting but so slowly it's hard to detect activity. this happens to primary fermentation sometimes no kraeusen the only visable sign of fermentation is the trub.

If I am understanding you correctly, and you simply racked to a secondary, you won't see bubbles in the airlock, you won't see krauson, you won't see anything at all. That is the purpose of a secondary, to get the beer off the yeast while it is cleaning itself up. I can't imagine you seeing any activity at all unless you add more sugar and add more yeast.

"Gymrat" post=388652 said:

If I am understanding you correctly, and you simply racked to a secondary, you won't see bubbles in the airlock, you won't see krauson, you won't see anything at all. That is the purpose of a secondary, to get the beer off the yeast while it is cleaning itself up. I can't imagine you seeing any activity at all unless you add more sugar and add more yeast.

I went back and read the OP, he racked the 2 week old beer onto the berries.

:huh: did you take any readings steve?

correct I racked to secondary and added raspberries. And, uhm, no I don't have a hydrometer :sweat:

"steveabrous" post=388753 said:

correct I racked to secondary and added raspberries. And, uhm, no I don't have a hydrometer :sweat:

As a reminder, visible activity and even airlock activity are not always present after primary fermentation, even if you add stuff...

The best indicator is a change in the specific gravity of the wort.

A hydrometer is required for this and is probably the best $8-$10 you will spend.

You could watch for changes in gravity, and once the gravity settles and doesn't change over the course af a couple of days you would know it was done.

I recommend you consider getting one if you can.

:)