Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
samueld

Over 100 Recipes!

Nice job! I'd be willing to be a betta tester for these 100 new brews for you! Don't send all at once though.. LOL :barman:

I just ordered three new recipes. These prices are great!

I'm gonna buy 4 recipes and an additional LBK 'cause you guys said it's great price. :laugh:

I wish I could find more of the Mexican Aztec for my modified recipe. Any idea where these might be sold on sale? If all else, I may have to try a new refill!

"SlickRick07" post=388882 said:

I wish I could find more of the Mexican Aztec for my modified recipe. Any idea where these might be sold on sale? If all else, I may have to try a new refill!

If you click on the Recipes, then click By Hopped Mall Extract, then click Mexican Cerveza, you will find one recipe where you're getting the refill, booster, and a hop sack for less than the refill sells for...

I have a Mexican Cerveza for sale (I don't really care for it) as well as the Classic American Light, but if you're not local to me then shipping would kill it. I have them on Craigslist.

"SlickRick07" post=388882 said:

Rick, in a pinch you can find the Cooper's Mexican Cerveza, it comes in a double-sized can, and is probably the same or similar to the one they make for Mr Beer. You may find it at your LHBS, or online. My LHBS, Austin Homebrew, sells it regularly for $22, or $11 per 1.87 lb can. And it seems every month they put one variety on sale for $19, but I kinda recall the Mexican Cerveza already on sale recently. Anyway, just a thought.

@RickBeer, I live in Ohio, not sure if that's local to you or not. I didn't care for the MA my first go around with it but liked it with my modified version. I would gladly buy it if you're close! I see I could buy the Fresco Chile Lime which would provide me with much of what I need and save a few bucks. I probably would add some hops and possibly swap out the booster for light DME. Then I could just run with my own MA Mod. I really just need that can of MA HME, I can throw in the rest.

@joechianti, I'm not aware what size the typical Mr. Beer Standard Refill actually is. Are their cans 1.87 lbs? So if I bought the Coopers Mexican Cerveza in the 1.87 lb can, I'm assuming that is equivalent to the typical Mr. Beer refills?

Thanks for both of your help!

You misunderstood Joe. The Cooper can is equivalent to TWO Mr. Beer cans. He says $22, or $11 per 1.87lbs, and sometimes lower. So it would be much less expensive.

Unless you're in Toledo, it wold not be worth the ride. Sorry you live in Ohio... GO BLUE!

@RickBeer, it's sad because we just drove through Toledo two weeks ago while on our way home from a cabin in MI. Secondly, your love for the team up North is disturbing to this humble Buckeye fan :) I did google the Coopers kit and see it claims to make 6 gallons of beer. The price seems like a nice deal but is there a way to break this kit down to produce LBK size batches? Even if I made it and split it into two LBKs, I'm lucky to get 5 gallons to fit in each LBK. I'm sure someone with more experience with a Cooper's kit can help me out, I simply have none.

I meant if you lived in Toledo. I'm in the Ann Arbor area, Toledo is within a 45 min drive. I didn't know there were humble Buckeyes, nice to meet one. :laugh:

Lots of posts about splitting the Coopers kit, which while it says 6 gallons most use it for 5 gallons. If you only have one LBK, you use 1/2 the can plus 1/2 the added LME/DME and brew 2.5 gallons, which the LBK will hold. Take the remaining can (some products are two cans, some one big can) and add a tiny layer of vodka on top, cover with food wrap, refrigerate.

I've brewed a Munton's recipe in this manner, using two LBKs. I've also brewed two 5 gallon batches made from extract recipes into two LBKs recently. Works great.

"SlickRick07" post=388893 said:

@RickBeer, it's sad because we just drove through Toledo two weeks ago while on our way home from a cabin in MI. Secondly, your love for the team up North is disturbing to this humble Buckeye fan :) I did google the Coopers kit and see it claims to make 6 gallons of beer. The price seems like a nice deal but is there a way to break this kit down to produce LBK size batches? Even if I made it and split it into two LBKs, I'm lucky to get 5 gallons to fit in each LBK. I'm sure someone with more experience with a Cooper's kit can help me out, I simply have none.

Like Rick says, the Cooper's can is 3.75 lbs, exactly the same as 2 Mr Beer cans. Most of us like to add some extra malt to a Mr Beer can for an LBK batch, and the Cooper's is basically, if not exactly, the same thing. I have found that making the whole double batch at once and pouring it into 2 LBK's works best for me. And Rick is right, that 6 gallon estimate must be for people who like very, very light beer. Just treat the Cooper's can as if it was two Mr Beer cans combined, and do exactly what you would have done with those two cans.

@joechianti, thanks for the input. My Mexican Aztec Modified recipe was:

1 Can MA HME
1lb. Light DME
1.0 oz Saaz @15min.
.5 oz Hallertau @ 10min.
4 Limes worth of Zest @Flameout
1/2 Cup of Lime Juice @Flameout

As you've mentioned, the Cerveza straight up was rather light so I can't imagine there's a major difference between the MB and Coopers Refills. I do have one very rookie question to ask, if I'm using the equivilant to 2 HME cans, do I double up on the rest of my recipe to adjust for this? Like instead of 1 lb. of DME, I would use 2. And so on with the hops and lime juice. Thanks in advance and I appreciate opening another avenue for me!

"SlickRick07" post=388922 said:

I do have one very rookie question to ask, if I'm using the equivilant to 2 HME cans, do I double up on the rest of my recipe to adjust for this? Like instead of 1 lb. of DME, I would use 2. And so on with the hops and lime juice.

Yes you would have to double up your additions...hops, lime etc.
You would also have to use the full pack of yeast, or if using MB yeast (under lid) you want to use 2 packs.

Look at it the opposite way,

MB recipes are like taking a normal 5 gallon batch and dividing it in half.

"RickBeer" post=388891 said:

Sorry you live in Ohio... GO BLUE!

Now that's funny!

Eagerly awaiting opening day tailgating !!!

Even though I have moved closer to Tuscaloosa (MD is closer than CO) I am not sure that I will get as many Alabama games on TV (had them all last year, not sure if it was due to satellite provider or what) - but since you all mention the upcoming football season - can I get a ROLL TIDE.

I need to take advantage of the MrB sale to get some quick stuff in the pipeline so I can rebrew my Big Al's Crimson Ale (brewed the night of the BCS game, so I hope I have good notes lol) - taht was yummy aged properly.

Cheers
jeff

"Manowarfan1" post=389162 said:

Even though I have moved closer to Tuscaloosa (MD is closer than CO) I am not sure that I will get as many Alabama games on TV (had them all last year, not sure if it was due to satellite provider or what) - but since you all mention the upcoming football season - can I get a ROLL TIDE.

I need to take advantage of the MrB sale to get some quick stuff in the pipeline so I can rebrew my Big Al's Crimson Ale (brewed the night of the BCS game, so I hope I have good notes lol) - taht was yummy aged properly.

Cheers
jeff

Since you apparently care about watching Nick Saban (poor judgement?), you should look into the online access. It appears you can buy it month to month for $12. http://www.rolltide.com/allaccess/ Simply hook a PC to your TV and viola.

I cut the cord with Comcast, and will be buying Big10 Network Michigan-only access for $9.95 a month for the months where the games aren't on national TV and I care about them - won't know which until I see who's covering them. Notre Dame is always on national TV.