Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrownstotheBone

Thank You Forum!

Just a few short weeks ago I was a guy who saw a returned item on a table in Bed, Bath & Beyond and bought it because it was $17.49 and I always wanted to try it. So I bought it.

Thanks to all of you, I'm now crazy.

My kit came with "American Light" so I brewed it.

I watched the Mr.BEER video on YouTube (stopping it as I went along so as not to miss anything) and brewed my first batch. I stuck the LBK in the basement where the temperature was about 75. It quickly turned to 76-80 degrees when a heat wave hit Ohio 3 days later.

Not knowing what I was doing yet I bottled at 2 weeks. (no hydrometer at that point) None the less, I decided to take the advice of tasting one at 2 weeks, then 3 and finally 4 to understand why you wait. (impatient newbie logic) So I bottled 4 Grolsch bottles and 7 liters.

Tonight was my 2 weeks conditioning with 3 days in the fridge taste test of the 1st REAL bottle of 4 that I made.(#1 bottle had too much priming sugar and I had to purge it every so often so I didn't count it, although I did drink it.)

It tasted like a watery Bud Light. But hey, it was MY watery Bud Light! It had great carbonation and I would down that any day of the week after mowing the yard. LOL

I have to say. If this is the results you get when your blind as a bat and have no clue WHAT you are doing I can't wait for my second batch that is fermenting now. (Mexican Cerveza Deluxe)

I've been reading like crazy and appreciate all the great links. Lot's of stuff to absorb. But I find myself wanting more info. I've got the temp thing licked for now with the cooler. Thanks.

I even found a 70's retro thermometer to go with my 70's Coleman cooler! It works fantastic.

I dropped $100+ at my LHBS on everything from vinators to bottle cappers, trees to bottle washers, sanitizers to overrun caps! Holy mackerel.

But if there's one thing I know. I know I'm getting fantastic help and for that I want to thank everybody once again for being so nice and helpful. You guys rock!

:chug:

[attachment=14351]keg.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=14348]Temp.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=14350]B2.jpg[/attachment]

It tasted like a watery Bud Light. But hey, it was MY watery Bud Light!

Good perspective. I always say, your first taste of your first homebrew may not be the best beer you'll ever taste, but it'll definitely be the most satisfying.

Congratulations.

"Thanks to all of you, I'm now crazy."

We're all a little off kilter, SO you're in the right place!

I don't think anybody's first batch turned out Fantastic!
I know mine was really bitter and green appley. Not quite the beer I was used to or expecting.
That was before I met the BORG!

You've done well with the additional equipment.

Good luck with your future brews and listen to these guys, they're good! :cheers:

That is a great post Brownsie. I think you'll fit right in here. Welcome a' :borg: . :cheers:

Thanks guys. I'm really getting the "obsession" expression now. I think I got it bad. Real bad.

Can't believe I'm eagerly awaiting to taste my 3 week conditioning bottle so much.

Quick question on the hydrometer reading. I took a OG. I take one at 2 weeks and then a few days later to see if it's stopped or still active. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct. It's ready if the reading doesn't change.

Or, you can wait 3 weeks, take a reading, and bottle.

Your welcome. Glad to have u aboard this crazy train of ours!

I would have to agree with you. If it wasn't for this fourm, my kit would have probably ended up in the closet. Instead, they have fed my obsession and I have a temp controled mini fridge, 2 lbk's, and have taken over half the house (well o.k. a small portion). Now I cant wait till we move so I can really expand.

It's tough to move from one brewing locale to another too. I had my entire operation set up in the basement of our "old" house and had a perfectly stable pantry closet in the finished section of the basement along with an undercab wine chiller that held a constant 65F for fermenting.

The new house is bigger and more updated but the wine chiller varies from 65 to 52 on a daily basis and there's no pantry closet in the finished section of the basement. So, gonna have to build one so my brewing operation "feels" the same.

Welcome to the forum. I love brewing but I am not crazy...and neither am I.

Welcome aboard - it is a great hobby. A mix of science and art and the result is BEER!!! That does not make you crazy, it makes you clever like a fox. How many other hobbies reward your effort with beer :)

Cheers
jeff

you made beer. I always keep a little Classic American Light around for my friends that think Bud Light IS Craft Beer. :barman: