Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
losman26

BIAB-mill settings.

I just picked up a cereal killer mill to try and bring up my efficiency a little more as opposed to using the LHBS setting. What's the ideal setting for BIAB? Should I go .025? Is that low enough? Should I go higher? Do I need to run the grains through twice on a lower setting?

Thanks

My barley crusher was set to .039 and I've kept it that way for over a year and haven't had to double crush for my BIAB's. Some just add about 1/2 lb more grain and others double crush but I would think .025 is too much.

Of course, different brands of machines may require different sizes for best uses.

I set and run the monster mill at our LHBS to .033 for recirculating E-BIAB. I get about 75%.

Some folks who do non-recirculating will mill a bit finer, but not via just one crush. One crush at a really narrow gap can be tough on an electric drill (or on you if you hand-crank :blink: )

Barley Crusher here... Factory setting works great for all barley, need to go a bit closer with smaller wheat malt, so I set mine at 'credit card' gap; same as the setting at my LHBS. Single crush for BIAB does the trick!

I just received a free all grain recipe kit from MoreBeer that I'm gonna convert to BIAB, and the grains are already crushed according to their settings. I wanna run it through my mill one more time to get a finer crush, should I go for .033?