Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
philm00x

Confused, bewildered, and other adjectives...

I cleaning out my bookcase this afternoon where I have my bottles of limeade hefeweizen. In moving the bottles out of the bookcase, I noticed something strange at the neck of one of the bottles. Took a flashlight and shined it into it, and it looks like some kind of funky infection! My stomach sank, and then I proceeded to check the rest of the bottles. To my confusion, only 6 bottles had any sign of the same type of growth inside of them. The other 18 were clear. The 6 bottles that had stuff growing in them were ALL Bell's Brewery bottles, and the rest were from other brands. I washed and sanitized all of the bottles in the same fashion, so I'm curious as to why only the Bell's bottles have stuff growing inside! The limeade I poured into the beer was Simply Limeade, which is pasteurized, so I didn't boil it before pouring into the LBK. It's all natural not from concentrate so no artificial preservatives. Any thoughts on what is going on?

Are you sure it's not hops? or foam? I've observed stuff ringing inside my bottle neck, but it sank when chilled.

If it's an infection that kind of distribution isn't all that surprising. Were the Bell's bottles filled as a group, or were the bottles mixed up with the others? For no good reason if I have bottles of the same size that are visibly different I tend to group them when I bottle. If they were mixed up I would say the bottles were contaminated in spite of your cleaning efforts. If they were together it could be that there was a tiny colony of bacteria growing and bits of it ended up in those bottles. There could be some small difference in the bottles that made them harder to clean. Had you used those specific bottles before?

Those are just a few thoughts, which are of course of no actual use to you now.

They were mixed up, but it still baffles me that it was only the bottles that were from Bell's that have infections. I confirmed that it is infection because I opened one up that had a big mass of funky growth, like a blob, at the bottom of it, and before I could even get the whole top off, it sprayed with such force that it was about to launch into orbit! I have used those bottles before. Couldn't say what kind of homebrew they used to contain.

Wifey tells me Monostat is good for infections ! :laugh: :laugh:

"Inkleg" post=389026 said:

Phil, you may want to dispose of those potential bombs right now.

I already did. Kept the other 18 that were clear of infection.

Sorry to hear that Phil, but you did the best thing. After my last bottle explosion I am watching all my bottles very carefully.

Yeah, and that pic in the thread that Inkleg linked to was scary as hell. When I was pouring out the beer from the infected bottles, I poured a little bit that didn't have chunks floating in it into a glass to see the color, smell it, and yes, taste it. It tasted pretty sour, but not repulsively sour. The smell was mostly of limes and was a cloudy but bright light golden color, and very fizzy. This gives me high hopes that the uninfected lot is going to be very delicious!

I was very thankful only one of mine exploded. I am still finding glass from that. I was just amazed to find glass imbedded in wall on he opposite side of the room.

"philm00x" post=389059 said:

Yeah, and that pic in the thread that Inkleg linked to was scary as hell. When I was pouring out the beer from the infected bottles, I poured a little bit that didn't have chunks floating in it into a glass to see the color, smell it, and yes, taste it. It tasted pretty sour, but not repulsively sour. The smell was mostly of limes and was a cloudy but bright light golden color, and very fizzy. This gives me high hopes that the uninfected lot is going to be very delicious!

Is it lime pulp?

there was a little bit of pulp in the juice, but no. it was bacteria colonies. they poured out into a glob of brown, green, and black nastiness.