Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LorraineMontana

Novice Worry-Wort, Hopping Mad Over Hop Pellets

Basking vainly in the glow of high praise from Hubby for my first two batches of Mr. Beer, I was considering legally changing my name to Mrs. Beer -- until last night. Scoffing at the mere 2.5 gallon capacity of the LBK, I impulsively decided to go rogue and whip up a 5-gallon recipe for classic all-malt pilsner that called for hop pellets added during the boil. The recipe made no mention of straining the appalling algae-looking hop muck from the wort before presenting it all into the fermenter, so I naively proceeded with pitching the yeast...instead of running to the nearest laptop to find out that many brewers strain out the proliferation of pellet poo before fermenting. Some say the hop pellet gunk dissolves and settles into the trub. Is this true, or will I have five gallons of green mud as punishment from Little Brown Keg Karma by insinuating through my actions that size matters?

Any advice or cautions on what to expect when I go to secondary?

Sincerely,
Trub-ble in Paradise

You'll be fine. The first time I went commando with hop pellets, they too ended up in the fermenter. They settled nicely in the trub at the bottom. You may want to tilt your LBK on end slightly (use of a CD case or HME lid) so that the trub settles back away from the spigot. A cold-crash 2 or 3 days before bottling can help also.

Rick

Your beer's all right! the hops will settle down to the bottom of the LBK. For best results, a couple to a few days before bottling, move the LBK into the fridge to cold crash. This allows hop matter, break material, and other particles to fall to the bottom of the LBK so it doesn't end up in your bottles.

Well the OP seems to have said she briefly abandoned her LBK for a 5 gallon batch if I read that right.

What are you fermenting in? An ale pail?

Are you familiar with cold crashing?

Also you can make more of the same beer by getting more LBKs and splitting the wort into them.
That way you can make 5 gallons and still brew the smaller batches that you might want to taste before adding to a permanent lineup or just to change things up a bit for variety.

Sounds like you are all in on this obsession though, happy brewing and welcome a :borg: :cheers:

Thanks. I haven't cold crashed before (in all of my vast two-batch experience!). I don't have fridge space large enough for the 5-gallon fermenter pail that I used for this batch, but I do have a wine cellar that stays at a constant 58 degrees. Would that be cold enough to help settle the hop debris into the trub over a few days?

I did the same on my first 5 gallon batch. I didn't strain it. I just let it go the course and racked to the bottling bucket. Since I was doing a stout, it was kinda hard to see the trub on the bottom of my ale pail. Needless to say I did get some hop leaves in the bottling bucket and even in the bottles. After carbing and conditioning, all of the hop leaves settle to the bottom. Not one bottle had a leaf when I poured it in a glass.
So just let nature take its course.

Even though everything worked out fine, I now remember to strain my wort before pitching my yeast.

Chock it up to impatience, I ordered a second LBK but it hasn't yet arrived. I bought a five-gallon food-grade pail and drilled a hole in the lid for a grommet and airlock. (Don't tell my husband I used his drill!).

Well, Mrs. Beer: This is a case of Good news & Bad news. I am not sure where all the rookies before me are getting their mis-founded information. Bad news is that you have wasted time and efforts in brewing this 5 gallon batch of give-away brew that you will neither like the taste of or enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good news is that you can ship it to me direct prepaid of course and I shall dispose of it properly for you. Please don't waste any more of your valuable time with this BAD batch of brew and move on to the next LBK size brew. You will thank me in the end but before doing so, expedite the shipment immediately. It will make a better brewer out of you and you will feel no shame in doing this.

Sincerely.
Master Disposal Services INC of Arid-zona

T8r Salad saluds you.

I hope you left plenty of head space in that bucket. You better start rigging up a blow off tube.

I'd definitely use an auto siphon and racking cane to get the beer off the trub when it's ready to go into the bottling bucket without picking up too much of the pellet poo.

(LOL at that!)

So Mrs beer, now give us some advice, how do we get our wives interested in this hobby? Mine is repulsed by brewing activities and leaves the house on brew day.

"jbags" post=389017 said:

So Mrs beer, now give us some advice, how do we get our wives interested in this hobby? Mine is repulsed by brewing activities and leaves the house on brew day.

And that's a bad thing because...? :evil: :lol::P

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=388998 said:

I'd definitely use an auto siphon and racking cane to get the beer off the trub when it's ready to go into the bottling bucket without picking up too much of the pellet poo.

(LOL at that!)

What he said!
I bottled a stout today that I had in secondary and only had a little dusting of yeast in bottom of the bucket.

"Gymrat" post=388965 said:

I hope you left plenty of head space in that bucket. You better start rigging up a blow off tube.

While the genders often differ on the representation of six inches, I maintain that my headspace allowance is in fact that amount. ;)
[attachment=14359]DSC_0053.jpg[/attachment]

"T8r Salad" post=388964 said:

Well, Mrs. Beer: This is a case of Good news & Bad news. I am not sure where all the rookies before me are getting their mis-founded information. Bad news is that you have wasted time and efforts in brewing this 5 gallon batch of give-away brew that you will neither like the taste of or enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good news is that you can ship it to me direct prepaid of course and I shall dispose of it properly for you. Please don't waste any more of your valuable time with this BAD batch of brew and move on to the next LBK size brew. You will thank me in the end but before doing so, expedite the shipment immediately. It will make a better brewer out of you and you will feel no shame in doing this.

Sincerely.
Master Disposal Services INC of Arid-zona

T8r Salad saluds you.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you -- I'm hard of beering.

Oh goody, I get to be the Dear Abby of the Borg. Well Jbags, I would recommend positive reinforcement. Start with offering your wife a champagne flute of perfectly chilled Beltian White with a diamond ring in the glass. Then, try gifting her with her very own Mr. Beer kit -- with a spa gift certificate stashed inside the LBK and a hundred dollar bill hidden under the canned LME's plastic cap. I guarantee that Mrs. Jbags will begin to take a keen interest in your brewing activities.

"LorraineMontana" post=389087 said:

Oh goody, I get to be the Dear Abby of the Borg. Well Jbags, I would recommend positive reinforcement. Start with offering your wife a champagne flute of perfectly chilled Beltian White with a diamond ring in the glass. Then, try gifting her with her very own Mr. Beer kit -- with a spa gift certificate stashed inside the LBK and a hundred dollar bill hidden under the canned LME's plastic cap. I guarantee that Mrs. Jbags will begin to take a keen interest in your brewing activities.

like she lets me have any money ;)

OH goodie Alb and Evily another female :borg: member to straighten these guys out. :banana: :banana:

And I can she she's already got their measure. ;)

Welcome fellow female brewing friend hope you'll stick around a while we like our forum spicy. :whistle:

Great looking beer pic BTW. :cheers:

"LorraineMontana" post=389077 said:

"Gymrat" post=388965 said:

While the genders often differ on the representation of six inches, I maintain that my headspace allowance is in fact that amount. ;)
[attachment=14359]DSC_0053.jpg[/attachment]

OK that was funny :chug: And that should be plenty of head space...so to speak.

"Brewbirds" post=389140 said:

OH goodie Alb and Evily another female :borg: member to straighten these guys out. :banana: :banana:

Welcome fellow female brewing friend hope you'll stick around a while we like our forum spicy. :whistle:

Testify, Suds Sisters! Thanks for the welcome. I think I've been bitten by the brew bug...and I like it

"LorraineMontana" post=389142 said:

Testify, Suds Sisters! Thanks for the welcome. I think I've been bitten by the brew bug...and I like it

You go my brewing sister I am liking those brew pictures. We seem to have a genetic preponderance for a beautifully set up pre-brewing kitchen. I just know our beers just have to tastes better. :laugh: :cheers:

"Brewbirds" post=389213 said:

"LorraineMontana" post=389142 said:

You go my brewing sister I am liking those brew pictures. We seem to have a genetic preponderance for a beautifully set up pre-brewing kitchen. I just know our beers just have to tastes better. :laugh: :cheers:

_______

LOL! So true, Brewbird. It's got to look like Martha-Effing-Stewart put her stamp of approval on it or it's just not as much fun. Cheers!

That is why this is a very expensive hobby...not brewing but keeping SWMBO satisfied

I just showed her your post - she doesn't understand LBK, LME, etc but certainly gets rings, cash, and spas. Thanks....not!

"jbags" post=389238 said:

I just showed her your post - she doesn't understand LBK, LME, etc but certainly gets rings, cash, and spas. Thanks....not!

____
LOL. Glad I could "help".

"T8r Salad" post=389231 said:

That is why this is a very expensive hobby...not brewing but keeping SWMBO satisfied

______

You obviously have your priorities straight!

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=389472 said:

"Brewbirds" post=389394 said:

I nominate LorraineMontana for BorgMOM. :whistle:

Check back in after 6 months.

LOL

____

I will, if they allow me to use the internet from the Betty Ford Clinic! :cheers:

We'll sneak a laptop in to you in a pie!

"LorraineMontana" post=389566 said:

LOL

____

I will, if they allow me to use the internet from the Betty Ford Clinic! :cheers:

Ahhh! Here's the beauty of being a homebrewer. Alcoholics CAN'T wait 7 weeks for a beer!

LOL

"LorraineMontana" post=389568 said:

"JohnDubya" post=389567 said:

_____

LOL!!!!! AWESOME!!!

And which pie would you like, the porter, stout, cream ale or nut brown flavor?

"Brewbirds" post=389640 said:

"LorraineMontana" post=389568 said:

"JohnDubya" post=389567 said:

_____

LOL!!!!! AWESOME!!!

And which pie would you like, the porter, stout, cream ale or nut brown flavor?

____

All of the above, please.

"haerbob3" post=389678 said:

me I am just glad my wife knows to stay out of MY kitchen!!!

Oh come on my friend, you can't fool us you already told us she was your boss. ;)

at home I do the savory she does the sweets. For those you do not know my wife is my boss at work. We are both chefs at a country club. She is the Executive Pastry Chef and me her chongo the Assistant Pasty chef. Yes we are together pretty much 24/7 :laugh: :laugh: Hey it has its perks. I only use about a half tank of gas a year in my pick-up :):):):)

"haerbob3" post=389697 said:

at home I do the savory she does the sweets. For those you do not know my wife is my boss at work. We are both chefs at a country club. She is the Executive Pastry Chef and me her chongo the Assistant Pasty chef. Yes we are together pretty much 24/7 :laugh: :laugh: Hey it has its perks. I only use about a half tank of gas a year in my pick-up :):):):)

___

So she is the pâtissière and you are the garde manger? Sounds like a delicious brigade de cuisine - I mean relationship!

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=389610 said:

"LorraineMontana" post=389566 said:

LOL

____

Ahhh! Here's the beauty of being a homebrewer. Alcoholics CAN'T wait 7 weeks for a beer!

LOL

____

Great rationale! Although I did buy some Deschutes Brewery Summer Ale last night. I felt like I was cheating on my little beginner home pipeline.

LM, I pass through bozeman occasionally going back and forth to seattle, any real good pubs/chow kitchens u would suggest?

"JohnDubya" post=389768 said:

LM, I pass through bozeman occasionally going back and forth to seattle, any real good pubs/chow kitchens u would suggest?

_____

Montana Ale Works by the easternmost downtown Bozeman freeway exit has excellent fare, a bit on the pricey side. Bacchus Pub in the old Baxter Hotel on the corner of Main and Willson (yes, Willson with two "L"s) is cheap, makes good pasties and has a fun, historic atmosphere. It shares a lobby with Ted's Montana Grill, which is another one of our favorite restaurants. The Pour House Pub & Grill on N. Rouse is well-liked and affordable. If you're passing through or near Livingston 20 min east of Bozeman, the beers, atmosphere and friendly folks at Neptune's Brewery make a lunch or dinner stop worthwhile. They claim their food is Thai, but it's mainly frozen Costco veggies stir-fried with various curry sauces. Still a fun place to sample a flight of their beers. (If you want top-notch Thai, Sweet Chili in Downtown Bozeman is my favorite.) The new Bridger Brewing by the college on 11th Ave is in production, but they don't have their Pub/tasting room open yet.

16 miles west of Bozeman, right off the highway in the tiny town of Three Forks is the Sacajaweja Hotel. Fantastic food and selection of local brews and gorgeous ambiance. You won't want to leave. Pricey, but memorable.

"LorraineMontana" post=389750 said:

Great rationale! Although I did buy some Deschutes Brewery Summer Ale last night. I felt like I was cheating on my little beginner home pipeline.

Don't feel guilty. You'll need those empties for your own pipeline later. :gulp:

"LorraineMontana" post=389077 said:

This thread is full of win.