Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Snowjob

Grain Storage

I will be doing a partial mash in the near future. Since I live over 60 miles from the nearest LHBS, I need to find the best option on storing the grains. I will be buying grains for 3 or 4 batches and since I do not have a grain mill at this time, the grains will be milled at the LHBS, I know this is not the best thing to do.

Is it best to just put the grains in plastic bins and leave at room temperature or should I find a way to put it in the refrigerator or freezer? And how long can I leave it?

"k9dude" post=388963 said:

Get this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U5NZ4I/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using one for over 2 years now and have made AG 5 batches with it. Milled grains have a shelf life of around 1 month and you should only freeze them if you have a vacuum sealer.

+1 to that Victoria/Corona style mill. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. Then you can buy all the unmilled grains you like and store at cool room temps for a year or more.

BTW, before I got this mill, I was storing my milled grains in a tight plastic container in the freezer, after double wrapping them in plastic bags. Even after 6 months or more, they all seemed to work out okay, giving me satisfactory OG's and no rancid smell or taste that I could tell of.

"Joechianti" post=388970 said:

"k9dude" post=388963 said:

Get this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U5NZ4I/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using one for over 2 years now and have made AG 5 batches with it. Milled grains have a shelf life of around 1 month and you should only freeze them if you have a vacuum sealer.

+1 to that Victoria/Corona style mill. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. Then you can buy all the unmilled grains you like and store at cool room temps for a year or more.

BTW, before I got this mill, I was storing my milled grains in a tight plastic container in the freezer, after double wrapping them in plastic bags. Even after 6 months or more, they all seemed to work out okay, giving me satisfactory OG's and no rancid smell or taste that I could tell of.

Thanks k9dude and Joechiachi. I will order the Victoria/Corona style mill before I start my first PM.

I've got that exact mill...works like a champ. And you can remove the handle and put a bolt in there, then put your cordles drill/driver to it with a socket adapter and it really tears through the grains.

If you're going to be using grains on a more regular basis, I'd recommend getting a vacuum sealer. You're not always going to be using exactly a pound of grain in a recipe, especially when it comes to specialty grains. I can only buy by the pound at my LHBS, so when I have a recipe that calls for, say, 1/2 pound of chocolate malt, or 1/4 pound of Crystal 60, I use what I need and vacuum seal the rest. It keeps more or less indefinitely.

But I second the grain mill. I crush my own grains, and wouldn't have it any other way.

I finally picked up a corona mill and I'm glad I did. Before that I crushed grains with a small ninja blender but I think it mashed them too much. Just invest in a proper mill. Only about 50 bucks.

"FedoraDave" post=389009 said:

If you're going to be using grains on a more regular basis, I'd recommend getting a vacuum sealer. You're not always going to be using exactly a pound of grain in a recipe, especially when it comes to specialty grains. I can only buy by the pound at my LHBS, so when I have a recipe that calls for, say, 1/2 pound of chocolate malt, or 1/4 pound of Crystal 60, I use what I need and vacuum seal the rest. It keeps more or less indefinitely.

But I second the grain mill. I crush my own grains, and wouldn't have it any other way.

I do have a vacuum sealer. I have been sealing the specialty grains that I have extra. Does it make a difference if i store the sealed grains at room temp or would putting them in the frig or freezer be better?

I don't think there would be any advantage to taking up fridge or freezer space. Look at it this way: How are the grains stored by the supplier and the LHBS? They're not refrigerated the way the hops and yeast are. If they don't do it, why should we?

I, like Dave, can only get specialty grains by the pound so I have to vacuum seal the leftovers.

Vacuum sealing is the best IMHO.

I do put mine in the beer fridge though mainly because my basement has been known to have a rodent occasionally!
Haven't noticed any adverse effects.

I think moisture is your big enemy here. If you can vacumn seal and then put them in a rubbermaid tub or something that should protect you from rodents and other things, and preserve valuable fridge space for yeast, beer or fermenting suds. Everything I have read says room temp is fine, moisture is bad.

Cheers
jeff