Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LongbowLagerHead

Water and bottles

Just curious as to what water evryone uses and what bottles. Both my batches were made with spring water from a nearby national park and so far I' m using the PET bottles supplied in my kit. I have 6 liter bottles with the flip tops that I plan to use next.

Just curious. LBLH

I use tap run thru an inline rv campsite filter like this http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tastepure-kdfcarbon-water-filter/18478. You can get them at Walmart even cheaper.

I mostly keg, but when I do bottle I don't use anything smaller than 22 oz., anything smaller is just not worth hassle. 2 liter soda bottles work great.

[attachment=14358]image_2013-07-24.jpg[/attachment]

Home RO and PET or soda bottles. Getting ready to use 1ltr glass on my Honey Hef this w/e

Water filtered from the fridge and 16 oz. glass bottles with the swing tops.

Spring water generic store brand.

I use 12oz and 22 oz glass bottles, typically Sam Adams, New Belgium or anything that has a pop top.

I use tap water and 12-oz. glass bottles, mostly Sam Adams, but it's really a hodgepodge.

If you're using extract to brew, such as Mr. Beer, there is a simple test for water. Is it good to drink? If yes, use it. For most people, that's normal tap water. For those with heavy chlorine, there are pills to neutralize it.

So it really doesn't matter what others use, it matters what your tap water tastes like. Using spring water if your tap water is good would be unnecessary.

Bottles discussions all the time on the forum. No screw tops. Brown preferred. Sam Adams tops most lists. Depending on your deposit laws, you may be able to get them by paying the deposit. Try Craigslist.

My tap water is high in nitrates, high in chlorine, chloramine and super high in pH and a little too soft. So I filter it either through the fridge or with a PUR pitcher, then add part of a campden tab, a little gypsum and some acid blend to it. I use a variety of bottles for each batch. Three liter bottle for tap-a-draft, a couple one liters, a few pints, and a 6-pack of 12 oz glass bottles.

We have a ginormous RO system at our Fire Hall for washing our trucks (they don't leave water spots). I go and fill up five or six one gallon jugs. So, you can say I use "Fire Water" to make my beer.

Have been using tap water and MB liters now starting on 12oz glass.
Will switch over to all glass and then use one MB liter for each batch for carb test.

I use ref filtered for wine, but will soon switch over probably to all filtered beer/wine.
Just a touch better ingredient should yield better result.

If you do a side by side test of a Mr. Beer batch made with good tasting tap water vs. made with spring water or filtered water you won't taste a difference. That's the point - if your tap water has good taste and no odor, extract brewing works fine.

Our tap water tastes like the pool at the Y. I won't use it. The spring water has a bit of natural nostalgia to it that I probably won't deviate from.

"LongbowLagerHead" post=389221 said:

Our tap water tastes like the pool at the Y. I won't use it. The spring water has a bit of natural nostalgia to it that I probably won't deviate from.

not having you culinary expertise I'll have to take your word on that :sick:

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=389227 said:

Our tap water tastes like the pool at the Y.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

But how do you know what that pool water at the Y tastes like????

12 years Catholic school, we had phys ed at the Y. Didn't drink it on purpose.....

"LongbowLagerHead" post=389244 said:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

12 years Catholic school, we had phys ed at the Y. Didn't drink it on purpose.....

Pool water... ewwww... my scuba diving lessons started off in a community pool. You ever wear goggles in one of these things? The stuff I saw floating in the water... let's just say since then and til I die, I will NEVER go into a pool again.... drinking the stuff... u would puke if you could see what was in it...... just.... ewwwwww

"LongbowLagerHead" post=389244 said:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Heh heh heh. I was just messing with ya!