Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Togorok

Foaming at the mouth

Ok so.. I brewed the brigid's blond mr beer recipe...this was my first attempt at using liquid yeast...anyways after everything was all done the lbk sat with no activity for three days to I got nervous and threw in the leftover pack of dry yeast I had.... Next day this recipe produces more foam and krausen I have seen since starting this hobby...in 5 days this beer will have reached 3 weeks in the lbk and there is still foam on top? Has anyone had beer ferment longer than 3 weeks? It has been in the 64-70 range the entire time.

Yes, people have gone longer than 3 weeks, although it's not normal.

If you don't have a hydrometer to see if it's done (two readings, 48 hours apart, that don't change), taste it. If it's not sweet, it's likely done.

Some foam on top is ok.

On the liquid yeast, did you follow the instructions provided? Smacking, storage temps, pitching temps?

I will take the readings in a couple of days. I followed the instructions on the smack pack. I did feel like the pack was kinda swollen when it came from ups already.

"Togorok" post=389129 said:

I will take the readings in a couple of days. I followed the instructions on the smack pack. I did feel like the pack was kinda swollen when it came from ups already.

Properly pitched yeast should produce krausen with 12 hours....a 3 day lag time is way too long for the primary fermentation to kick in. I and other brewers always make starters when pitching liquid yeast, especially when you don't know how it was stored before it got to you.

Remember making the best tasting beer requires pitching enough healthy yeast cells to complete the primary fermentation in less than a week.

Navigate on over to our Advanced Brewing Techniques area of the forum and read over the '4 Things Every Brewer Should Know About Yeast' sticky. Yeast is a living cell, keep them healthy and they'll ferment you up some awesome tasting beers.