Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JimH

Amber Ale Recipe for the Borg's Opinion

Alright, so I was hoping to brew today, but that may not happen due to unforeseen events. I want to brew my Silver City Sunset Amber Ale soon, so I thought I would take the delay and use it for some opinion from the :borg: . Looking to make a smooth, yet slightly bitter and hoppy amber ale, focusing on some complex citrus notes with the Falconer's Flight and Centennial hops. A bit of Mt. Hood for balance and aroma. Anyway, this may not be the "proper" recipe format, but here it is:

Est. OG: 1.057 Est. FG: 1.014 ABV: 5.6%
Color: 13 SRM Bitterness: 37 IBU

.5 lb Crystal 40L, steeped
3 lb Amber DME
.05 oz Columbus @ 60min (using up the leftovers from a previous recipe, might omit in future batches)
1/4 oz Falconer's Flight @ 25 min
1/2 oz Centennial @ 25 min
1/4 oz Falconer's Flight @ 5
1/4 oz Mt. Hood @ 5

1 Unit US-05

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is for an LBK sized batch.

Definitely looks like a decently hoppy, citrusy brew. If you have any leftover hops, and want to add to the aroma, I would try dry hopping for maybe 4 or 5 days. Otherwise, go with it!

I'd drink it.

Looks like a pretty good recipe. Be sure to keep notes so you can make tweaks and adjustments in future batches, because I'm betting you'll want to make this again.

Thanks Dave! I was chatting with Phil earlier, and the possibility of dry hopping with a 1/2 oz of Centennial was discussed. Thinking about trying it.

Just brewed this up! Turned out great. Should turn nice and citrusy and delicious. OG came in at 1.056, so just about right on!

Keep us updated It is looking like a very tasty brew. When is the sample party?

[attachment=14406]IMAG0535.jpg[/attachment]

"haerbob3" post=389705 said:

Keep us updated It is looking like a very tasty brew. When is the sample party?

You wouldn't want any beer that looks like that. Would you? Pretty pleased with this one. Difficult to taste the OG sample, since it never tastes like the final product, but it was good!