Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
8teen

Adding ingredients...when?

I am doing an orange pils. All of Mr. beer fuit recipes call for the fruit to be added at flame out. But I have read in several places where people add to the fermentor after 2 days-1 week . Any recommendations?

If you read the forum on that topic, you'll see a pretty consistent view of adding the fruit at 1 week into fermenting. Make sure that if you're doing orange, and using orange peel, that you know whether you're doing sweet or bitter, and don't do the wrong one.

Yep, I prefer adding in secondary, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that simple sugars like you find in canned fruit syrup tends to be consumed by the yeast first, which can make it less able to consume the more complex malt sugars. Note that I say can, not will. Fruit flavors will generally come through better too, when they are introduced after high krausen, when rabid CO2 production is driving off all of those wonderful aromas that add so much to flavor perception.

Even though they recommend adding at flameout, it is not the best time. Adding at flameout most the time the fruit just acts as an adjunct and leaves some, but very little taste in the end. Adding the fruit one week prior to bottling will give you the most flavor for your fruit in the end. IF you add one week (or whenever) prior to bottling, be ready for a gusher. Sometimes it does, sometimes not, but usually does. It will make a mess, make sure you have a pan under the fermentor to catch the over flow.

Agree. Adding once the primary vigorous fermentation is over preserves more of the fruit flavor. One week prior to bottling day seems to be the reco'd method here.