Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ser Stein

Cockroach!

Found a cockroach running around my LBK that was in a cooler on day 4 of fermentation; forgot to close the drain on the cooler. Is the beer is still okay/sanitary to drink? I was only running around the bottom of it, I think.

Anytime a cockroach gets within a foot of the LBK, you have to send it out for testing. Bottle it and send it to:

RickBeer
42 I Will Drink Your Beer Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105

I will test each bottle carefully for you and issue a written report.

Spray the nozzle with sanitizer before you bottle... ;)

Not sure on how long it takes for eggs to hatch,
but after your bottling,

definitely sanitize inside and out of LBK and also the cooler.
If it laid eggs, those small ones could prob get in the LBK, and that would be so gross.

"SelfFueled" post=389193 said:

Not sure on how long it takes for eggs to hatch,
but after your bottling,

definitely sanitize inside and out of LBK and also the cooler.
If it laid eggs, those small ones could prob get in the LBK, and that would be so gross.

A cockroach egg case will hatch within 30 days of being deposited. From it, as many as 25 nymphs can hatch. They will mature within 60 days and be able to reproduce.

THIS is why they're so difficult to control.

Having said this, are you sure it was a roach and not an earwig or a beetle or something that might resemble a cockroach? Was the cooler/LBK in the kitchen or the basement, or some other place, because roaches aren't real fond of traveling too far to find food. If you have them in your kitchen, it's a problem you'll want to address, because it ain't going away by itself.

Da freeking beer is fine. Just dip the cockroach in some bourbon, let soak an hour and enjoy with a nice stout or other dark beer.

So Dave agrees, you have a problem. He does this for a living. So, then you do need to mail the bottles to me for inspection ASAP. :laugh:

Gotta take care of the beer!!! If it was, in fact a roach, they harbor more diseases than mosquitoes. Clean everything very good(after you drink your beer) and call an exterminater! Roaches are freeloaders and not healthy! More than that, they should not get free beer!!! lol

I remember back in a college we used to buy Keystone LT, and one day they had a case for about $6.  I grabbed one can that was half-full, but still sealed.  when I opened it up a cockroach climbed out. LOL

Two things that attract roaches are moisture and food. Your wort is gold to them. Wipe the area down with a sanitizing solution. Dry the area and seal the LBK in the cooler. Remember even the smallest opening is an entry point. I would then be concerned with removing them from the house. Good luck.