Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
doclane

what a difference a little time makes!

wow! my very first batch, wcpa+booster+1 C honey= (in the beginning on my cheaters) a decent beer. it was a little sweet for my taste after the 2 weeks carbing and had ok head and zero head retention. you would get that intial burst of head, then it would VERY quickly go away.

now the same batch, after spending over a week in the fridge, the sweetness is beginning to blend and the head retention is like night and day.

my niece waited for a couple minutes for her first sample of my brew, and it still had over a half an inch of head!

and this is is bottled in the mb pet bottles.

WOW...thank you so much for telling us that. I have brewed 2 batches so far and am in love with it. The only thing is that we don't have patience and drink it up right away. I also noticed that the head goes away quick. I still have 1/2 a batch left conditioning an extra few weeks and you made me happy knowing that it will only be better!

Guest System Admin

Yeah- it's amazing how much of a difference a little time makes. Wait till you can wait "a lotta time"... WOW- an even better, bigger difference! Especially as you add more ingredients. The flavors really come together.

nurserocky wrote:

WOW...thank you so much for telling us that. I have brewed 2 batches so far and am in love with it. The only thing is that we don't have patience and drink it up right away. I also noticed that the head goes away quick. I still have 1/2 a batch left conditioning an extra few weeks and you made me happy knowing that it will only be better!

Steeping an 1/8th to a 1/4 lb of crystal malt will fix your head retention problems in the future and give great body to any beer. And crystal malt is cheap. Like 2 bucks a pound.

MC, unfamiliar terminology to a novice. How do you steep it and when do you add it?

norman1 wrote:

MC, unfamiliar terminology to a novice. How do you steep it and when do you add it?

Steep a 1/4 lb of cracked grain (You can do that with a big ziplock baggie and a rolling pin) in like 5 or 6 cups of water at 160 degrees for thirty minutes. Strain the resulting wort into another pot and bring to a boil. Add your HME to it just as you would to regular water. The wort thus produced will only be slightly higher in alcohol but will give you more interesting taste, a better body and better head retention. It's the first step from good beer to GREAT beer.

Thanks guys for the good info! Too bad there's not a home brew store within 100 miles of me. Shipping adds up.

mcgrewc wrote:

nurserocky wrote:

Steeping an 1/8th to a 1/4 lb of crystal malt will fix your head retention problems in the future and give great body to any beer. And crystal malt is cheap. Like 2 bucks a pound.

I have never used crystal malt but I get great head and head retention from using hops and lots of them for long boils. I also have seen better initial head by batch priming with honey.

crazybrody wrote:

mcgrewc wrote:

nurserocky wrote:

I have never used crystal malt but I get great head and head retention from using hops and lots of them for long boils. I also have seen better initial head by batch priming with honey.

I have another batch of Scottish Ale brewing which should be ready to bottle in a week or so and I'm going to try the honey. Of course this one has plenty of hops AND crystal so the head is not an issue.

norman1 wrote:

Thanks guys for the good info! Too bad there's not a home brew store within 100 miles of me. Shipping adds up.

Northern has an inexpensive flat shipping rate and morebeer has free shipping if you spend $59, which is easy to do.