Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sambeerindia

Help needed for getting close to a Howling Red Ale

Hi folks,

I have an MB Octoberfest can. I would love to make the Howling Red Ale but sadly can't get the rest of the ingredients from MB.

I also have the following ingredients with me and need expert advice on how to get closest to the Howling Red Ale.

Cascade Hops, 2 oz
Magnum Hops
Pale Malt
Pale DME
Some home toasted Amber Malt (toasted as per instructions to get 30L)
MB Yeast
Safale US-05

What would be your suggestion(s) to be able to come close to the Howling Red Ale?

/Sam

2 LME would work as 1 can of golden wheat, and you provide 1/2 cup honey with the old recipe

Sam you can give it a try with the pale malt and 1/2oz of the cascade hops. Bring 4 cups water to a boil add the pale malt and hops boil for 15 min. Remove from stove add the mr beer octoberfest, add 1 gallon cold water to LBK. Then add wort and bring water level up to 2-1/2 gallon in LBK stir good and add 1/2 packet of us-o5 yeast. This will be a little lighter in color then howling red. Also keep the hops in the LBK tell ready to bottle

Hi Elko,

Your reply is a bit cryptic for me. I'm a noob with only 3 batches behind me and could do witha bit more detailed instructions.
Did you meani should use the dme first? I didn't understand what you meant by leaving in the hops until bottling? Do I put them in a bag to boil and then drop the bag also into the LBK?
/Sam

To boil hops you need DME with the water, so he's having you use the DME, with the ops, for a 15 minute boil.

The hops stay in the wort, don't worry about it.

You can use a bag. You can not use a bag. Lots of discussion about it, and in short - it really doesn't matter.