Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ch1719

5 gallon LME cans in Mr Beer?

So I'm getting a Mr. Beer kit, but noticed that all the cans of their LME are designed to brew 2-gallon batches, whereas the brewery supply store near my home sells LME that's designed to brew 5-gallon batches. I'd like to support the local business in the future after I use the can that came with my kit, but how would I adjust the 5-gallon recipes to fit in the 2-gallon fermenter? Would I just use 2/5 of the can? Thanks for the help!

Most of us make 2.5 gallon batches in MrBeer's fermenters.

Easy thing to do is buy a second MrBeer fermenter (Little Brown Keg or LBK) and then split the batch between the two LBK's.

If you don't want a second fermenter (can't see why anyone would not want two - I have four!!) then you can use half the HME and pour some vodka on the top of the remaining HME to safely store it in the fridge.

As soon as your one LBK is freed up after bottling, you can make the second half of the batch...just pour off the vodka and you've still got fairly fresh HME.

Ok so if I want to make a 2.5 gallon batch, the only alteration to the Mr Beer instructions is to add more water to top off to the 10-qt mark (assuming there's a 10-qt mark)?

Also, why the vodka? Thanks!

Vodka layer on top of the opened HME helps seal out any nasties that might try to infect it while it's stored and waiting for use.

You will need to fill the LBK with 2.5 Gallons of water and mark the spot that it comes up to with a sharpie. There's no 2.5 gallon mark on an LBK.

Great thank you. I know it'd make more sense to just get a 5-gallon fermenter, but it would take me ages to go through 5 gallons of beer!

Most people use the top of the "Q" in the word quart for the 2.5gal level.

One thing to note:

If your LHBS has LME for 5 gal batches, it probably is unhopped.
You can read the label or ask about it, but if unhopped liquid malt extract,
then you will need to add additional hops to your "brew" and possibly
boil at recommended time intervals.

If you were to brew up the LME unhopped without additional hops,
you would have a malty beer, which unsure but would prob not taste great hop-less.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=389470 said:

That's a damned good point. I assumed he meant like a Coopers HME or something.

I was assuming the same thing. Either way though, it shouldn't matter. Whether its a jumbo can of HME or a LME/hops recipe, you should be able to follow the directions and either split into two LBKs or use half the ingredients and do one LBK at a time. +1 to the vodka if you use the latter method. I agree it sounds strange, but it works.