Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbirds

Ruling on Brew Day

Once the measuring cups were marked to accurately reflect the correct volumes we needed to establish the correct volumes in our brew pots. Here is what we did:

We carefully added equal measures of water into the empty pots and checked the water level on a ruler. We used ½ quart increments but for a five or ten gallon brewer you might use quarts or something larger, just keep in mind that increments should remain consistent.

[attachment=14376]MashWater.JPG[/attachment]

We entered the measurements into an Excel spreadsheet that uses the TREND function to return a volume in quarts for a given water level, measured in sixteenths of inches (we had to make an initial adjustment for the 3/16ths of dead space on the edge of our ruler).

[attachment=14377]Added3sixteenths.JPG[/attachment]

After taking a few reading you should see a consistent pattern as seen in the data from our primary brew kettle.

[attachment=14385]Capture.PNG[/attachment]

Once the initial “calibration” of the brew kettle was complete we were able to take a quick and accurate measurement of levels at any point in the brewing process by inserting the ruler and converting the measurement (for us by 1/16th inch increments) into wort volume. Ever since doing this our numbers for grain absorption, boil off rates etc have been on target.

[attachment=14378]GrainAbsorption.JPG[/attachment]
Checking Grain Absorption

[attachment=14379]PostBiolVolume.JPG[/attachment]
Checking Post Boil Volume

If you don’t have Excel but want to try this you can take the measurements on paper to make a chart (like the one above) of your initial brew kettle calibration or mark the volume conversion directly onto your ruler (e.g. every ½ inch increment is a quart).

As I said in the other thread, I don’t know if this would work for everyone but I hope by sharing these discoveries with my fellow brewers it might help someone who has experiences similar problems. :cheers:

Nice info. or try this site....

http://kotmf.com/beer/2012/dipstick-calculator-measure-liquid-volume-by-height/

OK, it's the address, but I don't know how to link. What I did was enter the dimensions of my kettle and looked for key amounts I wanted to measure, ie 5 gal ,5.5 gal, 6 gal etc. The calculater told me the measurement in my kettle. I then used a sharpie and made the measurements on my stir stick. I can guesstimate that if it's between my 5 gal and 5.5 gal markings it's 5 gals one qt. Close enough for me.....

Well I can't seem to fix the table. Then numbers are water volume, ruler reading and increments in sixteenths from left to right.

I've got a stainless 24" scale I use.

I've set the measurements for all three of my brew pots by the most common volumes I use for strike water, mash water for BIAB and post boil volume!
I do either 2.5 or 5 gallon batches!

Sure does make it quicker to fill things up and estimates of batch size!

"teutonic terror" post=389376 said:

I've got a stainless 24" scale I use.

I've set the measurements for all three of my brew pots by the most common volumes I use for strike water, mash water for BIAB and post boil volume!
I do either 2.5 or 5 gallon batches!

Sure does make it quicker to fill things up and estimates of batch size!

So if I understand what you do is weigh the pot during your brew process?

Okay I got the chart fixed now. That snipping tool in Windows is pretty cool. :banana: