Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JLScar

2nd Brew - Blonde Ale

So, I bottled my first batch on Tuesday and I am preparing to brew my next beer. My wife is currently pregnant and really enjoys blonde ales. She is due on September1 and I would like to have something ready for her to enjoy in Mid-October ... that being said, I have been looking at Blonde Ale recipes and I think I have come up with something that I would like to try and brew, but need some feedback. I am looking to have an IBU between 20 - 30.

Here is what I have come up with:

1 Can Canadian Blonde HME
LME - Pale
Centennial Hops

Lemon (zest or juice)
Grains of Paradise

First of all, any criticism, critique or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Second, how do I go about adding the additional components, the amount, and when?

Thanks

I would replace the booster with pale LME or DME. All the booster is good for is adding alcohol. The malt extract will do that plus give you more flavor. Bring your 4 cups of water to a boil, and stir in the extract or booster, whichever you decide to go with. Boil that for a few minutes to make sure it's fully dissolved. Then add your hops and boil for however long you need to achieve your desired results. Remove from heat and stir in your HME. Mix with water in the LBK. And ferment for 3 weeks.

Sounds like a good recipe! Good luck!

:chug:

i edited the post after reading some additional information to use the Golden LME, but you would recommend the Pale ... I think I like that better.

As for the Hops ... how will I know when I have reached my desired results?

I just brewed (err brewed 2 months ago and drank last week) the Blonde with the pale LME. Really really dig what the LME adds to the beer. Besides the extra (ABV) punch the taste and body of the beer are incredible with the LME. I haven't had the Blonde by itself but I have had the Czech three times (twice without LME and once with LME) and its a whole different animal the taste is just that much better. I still have two bottle left of the Blonde/Pale in the fridge it really is a good receipe.

"JLScar" post=389380 said:

i edited the post after reading some additional information to use the Golden LME, but you would recommend the Pale ... I think I like that better.

As for the Hops ... how will I know when I have reached my desired results?

[attachment=14386]image_2013-07-26.jpg[/attachment]

Here's the chart I use. When adding to a MB batch, I'm usually looking for flavor rather than aroma or bitterness out of my hops. So I usually boil for 18-20 minutes. Sometimes less.

As for LME, LBK is right on the money. The difference in a MB batch with and without it is huge. The way I see it, there's no reason to do a can strait up. I always order the deluxe version at the least.

Alright after reading countless posts, this is the plan for the Blonde Ale I plan on brewing:

Boil the LME for 60 minutes (4 cups of water??)

Add the centennial hops to boil for 25 minutes (first 25 or last 25??)
- how much?

Add1/2 tsp of grains of paradise and the peels of 2 lemons for the last 10 minutes of the boil. Should this be left in the wort for fermentation?

Once done boiling, I will add the HME and stir well. Add it to the LBK, top off with cldl fresh wate. check temperature of wort ... if acceptable, then add the yeast. and wait

Does that sound about right?