Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Btech117

IBU / SRM measurments

Recommended Posts

OK So I have a hydrometer that will tell me my ABV - But how does one measure the IBU and SRM (I assume there is a SRM color chart?) but your IBU is what im mostly wondering how to measure I mean a bitter beer to me may not be a bitter beer to you etc.

Is there a standard way to measure these 2?

(Yes im a NOOB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it really won't tell you abv with out knowing og and fg. that scale on the hydrometer is a guesstimate scale. you use a program like q brew(free) and it will tell you your expected ibu, srm, and abv. once you know the og and fg you can do the math for abv . here's a good source for tools and such

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way to do that will also be by personal choice. You need to look at the brewing software that is available and pick one you like.
The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
QBrew
Beersmith
Brewtoad(?) used to be Hopville
and I think there is one called Brewers Friend

Also you might like the beer style guideline for reference material; sorry I don't have a link for you but matbe someone can post it for you. :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't mind spending $20 or $30 beersmith kicks rump. There are a lot of free softwares that are good and will get you by. I used to be partial to brewmate. But beersmith has a lot of incredible features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you like to manually enter MrB ingredients, I'd skip BrewToad. I used it when it was Hopville and when they went to 2.0 it sucked.

I have QBrew now and love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for those willing to part with their money - there are labs that will take your finished beer and actually measure the IBUs and SRM for you. Not cheap, but the service is out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's not very scientific, but for a ballpark estimate, I just hold my glass of beer up to a color chart to figure out the SRM. For IBU, I just count the number of seconds it takes for my grandson to stop making a sour face when he tastes it, and then multiply by 4. If it takes him 6 seconds, my IBU is 24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For IBU, brewing software should give you a good figure. If it's off by 2 or 3, who's gonna know?

For SRM, that's a bit trickier. I've seen charts online, and I even got a nifty lanyard with SRM ranges on it at the National Homebrewers Convention. The thing is, anything I used would be dependent on the quality of the printing, so how accurate is it?

I don't worry too much about SRM, preferring to just admire whatever color the beer is. Of course, if I intended to brew an IPA and it turned out looking like a porter, I'd be concerned. But that's not likely to happen, and it's pretty low on my list of brewing priorities anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=389474 said:

Unless you like to manually enter MrB ingredients, I'd skip BrewToad. I used it when it was Hopville and when they went to 2.0 it sucked.

I have QBrew now and love it.

yeah I loved hopville, but brewtoad sucks. got beer smith now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found an iPhone app recently called BeerJudge that is pretty good at estimating SRM. One feature shows the gradation from light to dark, and you can move your finger along it to change the color of a bar at the top and match the SRM by comparing the bar to your beer. It can also use the camera to measure the SRM, but that is sensitive to the light source and varies at different parts of the glass of beer.

I'd be delighted to hear of a way to estimate the actual IBU without sending the beer to a lab, since I'm not lucky enough like Joe to have the grandson meter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Foothiller" post=389572 said:

I found an iPhone app recently called BeerJudge that is pretty good at estimating SRM. One feature shows the gradation from light to dark, and you can move your finger along it to change the color of a bar at the top and match the SRM by comparing the bar to your beer. It can also use the camera to measure the SRM, but that is sensitive to the light source and varies at different parts of the glass of beer.

I'd be delighted to hear of a way to estimate the actual IBU without sending the beer to a lab, since I'm not lucky enough like Joe to have the grandson meter.

Are you guys submitting for judging? I brew my beer to drink it. I don't submit for judging therefore I don't give a rip about ABV or SRM. I do keep an eye on the IBU when I'm crafting a recipe Mod in QBrew but the color and ABV.....never cared, never will.

Now....that is just me and my opinion.

As Mashani said once.......Wings has truly embraced the concept of RBWHAHB !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ joe and the grandson comment HAHAHAHAHA

No not submitting for Judging however I like to get as much information on each batch as possible. Brewing is a science and it should be recorded in my opinion so figuring out these statistics would aid as a reference for other beers and alterations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color doesn't taste. So while I want to know my ABV, and I want to know if my beer is going to be bitter or malty, if I want it darker I put on sunglasses and if I want it lighter I turn the light on next to my glass. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For light beer drink with your eyes open for dark close 'em :P:P Seriously you can not go wrong with Beersmith. You are the main judge. As long as you like the flavor, color and ABV what is the worry. One of the reasons I brew high ABV brews is so they keep. I need them to last the summer!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do enter competitions, but that's beside the point. We're here to share information and experience, not argue about why someone asks a question.

One reason why I like as much info as possible about how my brews turn out is that I like to explore brewing different types of beers, want to do that as the styles are supposed to be instead however my mix of ingredients turns out, and good commercial examples of some styles can be hard to find. For example, I like my latest version of Schwarzbier better than any that I have bought, but discussion with friends who are judges tells me I can still do better. In doing so, I want to stay within the basic ranges, while still adding my own creative touches to make mine stand out. Another example is that I have had and liked two cream ales while traveling this week, I may want to imitate them, but both were darker than the BJCP guidelines. Before I imitate them, whether or not I ever enter it in a competition, I'd want to make one as the guideline says.

Also, different techniques can have different results, and I think some differences are beyond even Beersmith's capability. For example, I have liked doing hop burst (with 20 minute bools for both bitterness and flavor), want to try first wort hopping (adding hops before the wort reaches boiling), but think it will be hard to predict the IBU that will result from first wort hopping as I get to the start of the hop burst. I'm willing to try it and taste the result first-hand, but it would be nice to know the actual IBU instead of either guessing a predicted value or relying on an imprecise estimate from my own taste buds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Btech117" post=389633 said:

@ joe and the grandson comment HAHAHAHAHA

No not submitting for Judging however I like to get as much information on each batch as possible. Brewing is a science and it should be recorded

Brewing is a craft. It takes elements of science, yes, and these should be recorded, but they shouldn't be allowed to dictate. There is art and intuition mixed in with the science, as well, which is what makes it a craft.

I know musicians who never miss a single note; never miss a cue; never get off-tempo. I hate listening to them. You know what else never misses a note or a cue or gets off-tempo? A music box. I'd rather listen to someone like Ray Charles or Stevie Ray Vaughan, who make me feel what they're feeling in their music, mistakes and all. That's artistry. That's intuition. That's something that can be learned, but can never be taught. Yes, they practiced their scales and exercises, and they warm up and make sure they're ready to play before each performance or recording session; they'd be fools and hacks if they didn't. They know their fundamentals. But they also know when to spread their wings and let their spirit take them, supported by those fundamentals.

Some of my best beer recipes were arrived at by coloring outside the lines. Numbers can tell you where you're going and where you've been. But they won't tell you what you've experienced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=389611 said:

"Foothiller" post=389572 said:

I found an iPhone app recently called BeerJudge that is pretty good at estimating SRM. One feature shows the gradation from light to dark, and you can move your finger along it to change the color of a bar at the top and match the SRM by comparing the bar to your beer. It can also use the camera to measure the SRM, but that is sensitive to the light source and varies at different parts of the glass of beer.

I'd be delighted to hear of a way to estimate the actual IBU without sending the beer to a lab, since I'm not lucky enough like Joe to have the grandson meter.

Are you guys submitting for judging? I brew my beer to drink it. I don't submit for judging therefore I don't give a rip about ABV or SRM. I do keep an eye on the IBU when I'm crafting a recipe Mod in QBrew but the color and ABV.....never cared, never will.

Now....that is just me and my opinion.

As Mashani said once.......Wings has truly embraced the concept of RBWHAHB !!

i gotta agree with wings again when making my recipes i only really pay attention to the og and the ibus the abv is what it is. who cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...