Mr.Beer Community
hindey19

Marzen Help

Here's the recipe so far (23L batch), trying to follow the guidelines from here.
This will be my first partial mash (I've done extract and AG, but never the mix).

2kg Munich I
0.5kg Vienna Malt
1kg Plain Light DME
1.5kg Pilsner Malt
2oz Hallertauer @ 60
Saflager S-23 (2 sachets)

The question I have, is do I mash all the grains for the typical 60 minutes, then start the boil as normal, and just throw the DME in at the last 15 minutes? Seems like that should be the way it's done, but would that dilute the hops a bit (although it's not a big of an issue for a marzen).
Also note that my boil size is only going to be 12 litres (1/2 the total batch size).
How will that affect everything?

Also, any pointers on the recipe?

Thanks Borg! :borg:

I'm sure the pros will chime in here pretty soon but I will note that I think you need a 90 minute boil when using pilsner malt. :cheers:

I read you gotta boil a pilsner malt 90 min to get rid of dms. if you want to stay in style there ain't supposed to be caramel in a marzen. having said that imo it's your beer do what you want. I think you'll be ok putting the dme in at 10 min. I usually do a late addition dme with no ill effects.

Before I get started, what the heck is a kilogram?!?! :P

Here's what I see:

1) As stated, Pilsner malt really should be boiled for 90 minutes to drive off DMS, unless you are using Pilsner LME or Pilsner DME

2) The recommendation to put the DME/LME in late is for a few reasons
- It keeps it from getting too dark
- It prevents it from carmelizing
- It keeps the gravity of the boil lower to get better hop utilization

3) Boiling only half the volume will reduce the hop utilization significantly because your gravity will be higher than a full boil. Maybe you'll have that countered because you are adding the DME late. I'd have to run that through Beersmith to see how that all plays out.

Food for thought.

"Kealia" post=389460 said:

Before I get started, what the heck is a kilogram?!?! :P

Here's what I see:

1) As stated, Pilsner malt really should be boiled for 90 minutes to drive off DMS, unless you are using Pilsner LME or Pilsner DME

2) The recommendation to put the DME/LME in late is for a few reasons
- It keeps it from getting too dark
- It prevents it from carmelizing
- It keeps the gravity of the boil lower to get better hop utilization

3) Boiling only half the volume will reduce the hop utilization significantly because your gravity will be higher than a full boil. Maybe you'll have that countered because you are adding the DME late. I'd have to run that through Beersmith to see how that all plays out.

Food for thought.

Ron makes all excellent points here. Listen!

So basically as-planned except mash for 90 instead of 60.
Got it!
Thanks everyone.

P.S. a kilogram is a proper unit of measure :-P much easier to do the maths with it. Also equal to 2.2lbs or 35.273 ounces or 0.157473 stones.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=389503 said:

Remember in a Marzen, it's all about the malt.

Flavor and aroma hops are used sparingly.

If ever, which is why I only have bittering :chug:

Also, I've been toying around with the idea of using an ale yeast, I've heard of successful batches this way. I only bring it up because while I have a dedicated fridge, I don't have a proper temperature control mechanism just yet, and by the time I buy/build one, it'll be too late to brew a proper lager.
Anyone use an ale yeast for a lager type and have a good recommendation?

"hindey19" post=389559 said:

Also, I've been toying around with the idea of using an ale yeast, I've heard of successful batches this way. I only bring it up because while I have a dedicated fridge, I don't have a proper temperature control mechanism just yet, and by the time I buy/build one, it'll be too late to brew a proper lager.
Anyone use an ale yeast for a lager type and have a good recommendation?

I am in the process right now. I am using Nottingham and keeping the temps around 57 F. According to the specs it will ferment down to about 54 F. I am fermenting a Vienna "Lager" and hoping to get close to a lager quality. I still have a week in the primary, but so far so good.

The boil is for 90 minutes although your hops would still only be 60.
Get a rolling boil going, boil for 30 minutes add hops, boil for 60 more minutes. :cheers:

"Brewbirds" post=389589 said:

Get a rolling boil going, boil for 30 minutes add hops, boil for 60 more minutes. :cheers:

Okay I was confused. Still mash the grains for 60 minutes but boil for 90, right?

I've not done a Marzen so I don't know about your mash schedule. For that I'd go by the recipe you are using.

Seems like I've done a 90 minute mash before but I can't remember which batch that was. :cheers:

"hindey19" post=389602 said:

"Brewbirds" post=389589 said:

Okay I was confused. Still mash the grains for 60 minutes but boil for 90, right?

you can mash longer if you wish. I mash for 75 it seems to help my efficiencies. but boil for 90