Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
zorak1066

mccormicks orange peel has sulfites??

was going to use it for beer flavoring and just noticed it lists sodium sulfite as a preservative. how likely will this bother the yeast?

thanks

We'll see if someone with actual experience chimes in, but I'm inclined to say it will not have much impact. As a portion of the orange peel, it would be little enough to avoid affecting its flavor while still being a preservative. The orange peel in turn would be a small portion of your beer. So, I think the amount of sulfite would be much less than if you were using something like campden tablets. Also, the sulfite should dissipate within a few hours, so even if the sulfite were enough to keep your yeast from starting, repitching should work -- but I doubt it would come to that. Please let us know how it works out.

"zorak1066" post=389504 said:

was going to use it for beer flavoring and just noticed it lists sodium sulfite as a preservative. how likely will this bother the yeast?

thanks

Pretty sure it's not good for your yeast...

Even small amounts of sulphites can cause yeast to develop respiratory defects.

Better to use fresh or go with Brewer's Best brand which does not list sulphites on their package.

:)

use an orange essential oil. Myself I would never take the chance of adding anything that would slow down or stop the yeast. At what point are you adding this. As Big Papa said it is better to use stuff that is designed for brewing or organic.