Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
madman960

Bill in SC checking in

I bought a Mr. Beer deluxe kit last year. Mr. Beers Golden Cowboy Lager with dry ale yeast. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks carb, 3 hours in the freezer. Was better than expected. Looking for my next project. I plan to order another keg or 2.

Any recommendations for something to brew for now? May also order something to brew for the fall.

Any brewers near Beaufort SC?

:chug: :cheers:

Bill

Welcome to the :borg:

I'd suggest you do a little reading of the active threads here to get an idea of what's new.
Check out the new brewers stickies, basic recipe section etc.
There is a big Mr. Beer sale going on right now you might want to take advantage of as well (threads on that as well). :cheers:

Welcome!!! :chug:

There is a nice sale, but there is also MANY new recipes on the MB site.

The recipes are standard refills, with something added.
Maybe just 1/2oz of hops (included)or just brown sugar (you provide) or LME (included) etc.

If you like the cowboy maybe search by your style or your HME base on the site.

Otherwise, congrats on your first brew!!!

I found the forum link when I came to see the sale. I think I am going to get Oktoberfest for the fall. Still looking through recipes for something to drink soon.

2 weeks primary, 2 weeks carb, 3 hours in the freezer.

FYI - Since you're a new brewer, I'd have to assume you do not have a hydrometer. In that case, three weeks in primary, four weeks carbing (room temp, not in fridge) and then chill for 2-3 days prioer to drinking.

Your method above absolutely won't get you the BEST beer you can make and that's what most of us strive for.

Welcome - Glad your first beer came out good - These guys have a lot of information and Like they said a 3 Week fermentation period is best - Or get ya the Hydrometer like i did - Was inexpensive and a better way to know when my beer is ready for the 3-4 weeks conditioning stage.

Good luck!

"madman960" post=389669 said:

Still looking through recipes for something to drink soon.

Reinforcing what was already said, if you order Monday and get it by end of week, and brew on Saturday, August 3rd, 7 weeks later is September 21st. In short - you won't be drinking "soon" unless you buy beer at the store.

I'd recommend that you buy more than 1 refill to a) justify the shipping cost and B) build your pipeline. Note that ALL recipes are 25% off. Some use two or three refills, which if you're smart you can ignore the recipe and brew two or three batches for that price.

Then, brew one batch. When it's done and bottled brew another batch. Assuming you have bottles ready, you'll soon have a pipeline and 7 weeks won't be so hard to wait for.

I did this with two LBKs and currently have over a dozen to pick from, total of around 9 cases of beer, allowing me to take the summer off and enjoy a wide variety.

[attachment=14410]pipeline_2013-07-28.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for the tip. By soon I meant 5-6 weeks. I am looking at ordering 3 refills and 2 lbks. If all goes to plan, I will have a short medium and long finish beer setup. I have not picked anything yet. I know I am getting an Oktoberfest for the medium beer. Looking for a Christmas time beer for the long finish beer and not sure what to do for a quick brew beer.

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of homebrewing!

I don't want to seem as if I'm picking on you, madman, because you're certainly not the first or the only new brewer to ask, but it always amuses me when people ask what's a good beer to brew.

It all depends on what you like to drink. Mr. Beer has got a lot of the styles covered, from light blonde ales and Mexican Cervezas to coffee stouts and Belgian dubbels. All of them are good representations of the styles. But not all of them are to everyone's liking. I don't really care for stouts and porters, although I've made my share of them. Some people don't like pale ales. Doesn't mean they're not good beers to brew. It just means they're not good for THAT person.

What do YOU like in a beer? A really bitter IPA? A mild, balanced ale? A smooth lager? A dark and chewy stout? It's up to you. Mr. Beer has got you covered, that I know.

Welcome again, and happy brewing!

I would recommend you click on the Advanced Recipes link on the Mr. Beer homepage. From there you can choose from Balanced Recipes, Hoppy Recipes, Malty Recipes and Fruity Recipes. Start with the Balanced Recipes and click on whatever intrigues you. You can read descriptions of the beer and see what the ingredients are. Eventually you'll get to notice patterns in the HMEs and LMEs used, and get a sense of hop additions and such.

If you choose a lager, make sure that you can control the temperature during fermentation. Lagers need to stay in a temperature range in the high 50s for best results.

Brew them according to the directions, and don't make any changes or additions. These recipes are formulated to make good beer just as they are, and the important thing for you at this point is to get the process down and familiarize yourself with the flavor profiles of the various extracts.

Good luck!

I have been doing that. Looking at several recipes that come with multiple cans of HME. I will order some pale and smooth DME also. Thinking about skipping the keg on this order and getting a hydrometer instead. I have 2 lbks now. I eventually want 5-6. I have a mini fridge for lagers but am picking up a full size fridge this weekend.

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you are jumping in with both feet. Dave is giving you great advice. By learning the process well sampling several recipes you will quickly learn what you like. I customize almost all of the Mr Beer based recipes that I brew, but it has taken over 3 years to get some of them just the way I like them. Have fun and continue to ask questions. You will learn a lot on this forum.