Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elko brewer

Blown brew day

Well today was going to be a brew day, I got up at 5:30 am got the wyeast 1214 belgian abbey liquid yeast out of the fridge gave it a good smack, shook it up it's now 4:30 and the yeast still is not making the bag expand. I will give it a few more days but I'm thinking the yeast might have got to hot when it was being shipped to me. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abby liquid yeast ?

have had the smack packs take up to five days to inflate was it shipped with a cold pac?

On my brew day for my Belgian pale ale, I smacked my Ardennes pack and thought I had popped open the pack of nutrient for the yeast. I was concerned because the pack never really swelled much. Come to find out when I was going to pitch, that the nutrient pack never opened. So what I did was dunk my hands in Star San, reached inside and cut the nutrient pack open and poured it into the yeast slurry, then sloshed it around a bit and pitched it. Yeast was active within 12 hours of pitching.

I've only used the smack packs a couple of times. I always smack them the night before. They are usually plump the next morning. I always feel around for the nutrient pack and corner it. After smacking I feel around for it to be certain I hit it. So far so good.

1. Make sure the nutrient pac popped
2. Give it some time
3. most important use a starter to build it up

I used this same yeast a while back for a 9% Strong Ale that turned out awesome! I can't comment on the bag inflation because I couldn't locate the smack pack. I just assumed they forgot to add the nutrient pack. But it was discovered upon opening. I cut it open and added to my yeast starter. I had a full krausen overflow @ 8 hours. This was the only Wyeast pack I ever had a problem trying to smack or find the nutrient pack. Maybe you just didn't break the pack?

Thanks for all the help guys. I checked out the smack PAC and it seems that I did get the nutrient PAC broke this morning I did just give it a little shake hope that's not a bad thing. So I guess the only thing I can do is ride it out. When it starts to activate I will make a starter and see if I can blow the lid off the fermenter.

"Elko brewer" post=389720 said:

Thanks for all the help guys. I checked out the smack PAC and it seems that I did get the nutrient PAC broke this morning I did just give it a little shake hope that's not a bad thing. So I guess the only thing I can do is ride it out. When it starts to activate I will make a starter and see if I can blow the lid off the fermenter.

I popped two smack packs before brewing two days ago...

By the the time I was done brewing and ready to pitch, the packs were not swollen at all.

Pitched them anyway... No worries, fermenting away nicely!

This has happened before, no worries...

Sometimes the yeast go into a cycle of regeneration which sometimes leads to a longer lag time.

Once they are ready, off they go! I have seen this take up to a few days if still in the package, or...if pitched, up to 72 hours!

If nothing happens by then, my plan would be to pitch new yeast... Never had to do that though...

:)

Generally best to do a starter with the liquid yeast anyway - does two things.

1. Confirms yeast viability as the liquid are prone to failure particularly in the hot months.
2. Shortens lag time.

I know folks say liquid yeast produce better beer but I simply have not noticed any discernible difference so I just opt for reliability, durability, and consistency of dry yeast.

"jbags" post=389753 said:

Generally best to do a starter with the liquid yeast anyway - does two things.

1. Confirms yeast viability as the liquid are prone to failure particularly in the hot months.
2. Shortens lag time.

I know folks say liquid yeast produce better beer but I simply have not noticed any discernible difference so I just opt for reliability, durability, and consistency of dry yeast.

To each their own. But when I started doing yeast starters with liquid yeast, my Homebrew went to another level. Don't get me wrong, I've made some great beers with dry yeast. But starters make a big difference IMO. Plus, I just keep washing it and recycling making more starters. I'm a firm believer in reducing lag time to produce better, cleaner tasting beer. I definitely think dry yeast works best when rehydrated. But is it as good as a starter from liquid? That's up to each individual to decide. ;)

This is why I don't like smack packs. I've used them, yes, but they're not my first choice. I can never be sure I've actually broken the inner pack.

I much prefer using vials of White Labs liquid yeast and making a starter.

I had a WYeast from MrBeer arrive on a hot summer August day and sit out for most of the day.

When I used it, it never did swell and it was pretty stinky. After almost 72 hours and not trub, I pitched some dry yeast I had stashed and she took off.

Have not used WYeast since not because I don't like it but I don't buy it unless I get it direct from LHBS and bring straight home. Comfortable for now rehydrating dry yeasts.

Thanks for all the great feed back fellow brewers. Woke up this morning to a nice surprise the smack PAC was fully inflated. So I made a starter and brewed this afternoon. Brew day went good no hick ups four hours later the yeast were having a major party in the fermenter. So life is once again awsome. Thanks again.

Glad to see it worked out. I've been using Wyeast off and on for three years, never had a problem.

"FedoraDave" post=389843 said:

This is why I don't like smack packs. I've used them, yes, but they're not my first choice. I can never be sure I've actually broken the inner pack.

I much prefer using vials of White Labs liquid yeast and making a starter.

FWIW, you can just tear open the Wyeast packs and make a starter too without bothering to smack them if you wish. Works fine.

Hey Elko, glad things worked out.

FWIW, I have been happy sticking with dry yeast. I have had great success so far with the varieties I've used. I think the smack packs are expensive. Then if they fail you are out that money. Plus you have the stress of looking into an alternative yeast. Brewing day should not have added stress. For now I am going to stick to dry varieties.

There are a few things however that you will need liquid to stay well within style. That was why I was happy when Danstar released a dry saison. A couple more days to bottling so will soon be able to tell how it stacks up.

"Da Yooper" post=390054 said:

There are a few things however that you will need liquid to stay well within style. That was why I was happy when Danstar released a dry saison. A couple more days to bottling so will soon be able to tell how it stacks up.

I understand what you're saying. For now I have been able to get dry yeasts for the styles I've brewed.

I have a packet of Belle Saison in the fridge. I need to get a good recipe and put it to work.

"4stringdude" post=390107 said:

I have a packet of Belle Saison in the fridge. I need to get a good recipe and put it to work.

I used an old Oberon-like recipe and fermented on the high side. A week before bottling however SWMBO informed me at the beer festival that she was not really a fan of saisons. I guess I should have fermented a bit lower although this most likely means more beer for me.