Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
iluvbeer!

Partytime Pilsner update

This is the GBCP recipe from Mr Beer. I fermented for 3 weeks and yesterday made 4 weeks conditioning, so i decided to try one. It has a lot of flavor, but seems to still be a bit "green". I figure only time will help.. Also, there doesnt seem to be much head retention in this one, as well as the Aztec Cerveza(5 weeks conditioned: 1st taste) i did earlier. Was wondering if more conditioning will increase it , or is it just a type of beer with little head retention? The carbonation is fine, no problems there.. But on the whole, it was a big step up in taste/quality from the Aztec Cerveza( for me anyways). AZ Cerveza was just an as is brew though. Thanks again to the Borg for the much needed advice i received! :cheer:

I assume you used standard MrB yeast...? The first amendment to procedures I made as a moderately experienced noob was stop using it and keep a supply of better stuff on hand such as Coopers or Safale. To me beers brewed with the MrB yeast always tasted green no matter how long they aged out.

Nice - looks good...got about 2 weeks in the fermenter right now for my Party time Pilsner

First of all...

[attachment=14416]HOMER_2013-07-28.jpg[/attachment]

Secondly; How did this forum go so long before one of us came up with the handle, "iluvbeer"? Goodun.

Thirdly; I noticed an improvement in my head retention when I started priming with DME instead of sugar. But this meant that I had to start batch priming as it is almost impossible to get a properly measured amount of DME into each individual bottle.

+1 to carapils. Once I added steeping grains to my recipes it helped with head retention and lacing. Some styles are just prone to better retention.

Thanks for the feedback! and the info about carapils. will have to try that soon. Also, didnt know about priming with DME. thats sounds good too. Thanks again!

The first Mr. Beer I did was the pilsner as well, and it to tasted green after only a few weeks of conditioning. I will say it my pilsner got better the longer I let it condition, after awhile it no longer tasted "green".