Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
madman960

Cooper Blonde refill-Use the booster or substitute

I still have a Cooper Blonde refill from my deluxe kit. Should I brew as is or replace the booster? I am placing an order this week.

Thank you in advance.

Bill

Booster doesn't go bad. It's also not the best thing to add to your brew, but that's a matter of opinion. Adding LME or DME instead would be better.

If it's rock hard, you can put it in a bag and smack it with a hammer to break it up into chunks. Assuming you know where it was stored (i.e. your house), that would be fine.

I bought a kit on Craigslist last year and the booster was rock hard. I was concerned that the package might have had a leak, and didn't know what, if any, odors it might have absorbed, so I didn't use it.

The booster is fine. Through reading many of the posts here, majority state to replace the booster. I figure I can order something to replace the booster when I place my order. Just not sure what to replace it with.

I'd recommend you spend some time reading the forums, many of these questions are asked very often and there is a lot of good info here.

LME and DME are no different except for the water. A pound of LME equals .8 lbs of DME. A pound of DME equals 1.25 lbs of LME.

If you read the descriptions of each you'll see the potential impact on flavor. Pale or light has the least impact on flavor. Adding 1/2 to 1 lb won't significantly change your brew's flavor profile. I add a pound to every Mr. Beer refill.

LME is easier to work with in general, i.e. pour the pouch in.

I did a search under basic recipes before posting this thread. I did not find much. I was looking for a basic recipe that replaces the booster and how it turned out.

LME and DME are no different except for the water. A pound of LME equals .8 lbs of DME. A pound of DME equals 1.25 lbs of LME.

If you read the descriptions of each you'll see the potential impact on flavor. Pale or light has the least impact on flavor. Adding 1/2 to 1 lb won't significantly change your brew's flavor profile. I add a pound to every Mr. Beer refill.

LME is easier to work with in general, i.e. pour the pouch in.

It's information like this that I can't remember yet, or find it when I need it. (newbie)

So I've actually started a word document "Beer" and just copy and paste random info for quick recall. Categorize later.

Edit: So just to clarify RickBeer, you would add 2 LME packs (1 pound) per LBK batch? Am I reading that correctly?

"madman960" post=389819 said:

I did a search under basic recipes before posting this thread. I did not find much. I was looking for a basic recipe that replaces the booster and how it turned out.

Some tips:

The current forum search stinks. Use my modified search below for better results.

When you do find a post you like, click Favorite at the top. Then later go to My Topics and you'll find it.

"BrownstotheBone" post=389829 said:

It's information like this that I can't remember yet, or find it when I need it. (newbie)

So I've actually started a word document "Beer" and just copy and paste random info for quick recall. Categorize later.

Edit: So just to clarify RickBeer, you would add 2 LME packs (1 pound) per LBK batch? Am I reading that correctly?

Good solution. See the tip I just posted for making a post a Favorite to make it easy to find again.

On the LME, yes, but no. ;) Two reasons - that would be 17.6 ounces so it's a bit more, but forgetting that, I wouldn't spend $7 to upgrade a Mr. Beer batch. If you're going to add more than one pouch, look into either buying bulk LME at your LHBS (Local Home Brewing Store) or buying cans of LME mail order, usually in 3.3 pound cans. Pour a light layer of vodka over the top and refrigerate it, or use DME which doesn't have issues re: going bad. My LHBS sells bulk LME for $2.50 per pound if I bring my own container. I like malty beers, so I don't care if the LME I add makes it a bit maltier (and therefore sweeter) than intended. I don't like IPAs. So you need to make sure that if you're buying a beer that's less balanced you don't make it balanced by always adding a pound of LME. That said, I don't like what booster does to my brews and don't use it any longer.

Ah. Very good. Thanks so much Rick!

I'm with you on the malty beers. Not an IPA guy either. So, right up my alley.

What does the booster do that you don't like? Just curious because I have a couple setting around from an early uneducated purchase.

In the batches I made with booster, they all had a cidery taste that even after 12 weeks is still noticeable. Bohemian Bronze for example. Blue Patriot another, even though I only used 4 oz of booster and used 10 oz of LME (and it did have 2 cans of blueberries).

In short - if I can buy LME for $2.50 a pound why would I ever buy booster? And why would you want to use booster when you can use malt extracted from grains?

Thanks again Rick. Did a search "booster" and think I've read enough bad things to steer me away. Chock it up to inexperience. (buying it before knowing) But hey, I didn't use it. Ha ha...