Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
4stringdude

Ready to dump it out

I am on the verge of dumping a Pale Ale I made a couple of months ago. I made the mistake of using tap water instead of bottled. It has a band aid taste that I just can't get past.

I filtered the water through my Brita pitcher thinking it would be good to go. After getting the bad taste I checked a report on the city water supply and they use Chloramine for purification. I should have checked first.

Anyone know of any help for this problem? Or should I just chalk it up to experience and wash the bottles out?

Do some research on using beer for things like your lawn before you just dump it. I had a batch that was vinegary, so I didn't do that, but bandaids may be ok.

NO DON"T DUMP IT

I brewed three batches in a row before I realized the city changed their treatment schedule this summer. (I' treating with campden and boiling now)

All three got chlorophenol. But in deference to my hero The Hat I refused to dump them even though that is a brewing community consensus.

I started researching on the web about the chemistry aspect. I have successfully removed the bandaide taste by treating with activated charcoal.

I am still working on the experiments but so far:

I boiled several teaspoons of activated charcoal in RO water to sterilize then put it in a fine strainer and rinsed with RO water.

In a large jar (the beer foams like crazy) I added 2 teaspoons of the charcoal to the beer and stirred for about 10 minutes.

After pouring the beer carefully off of the charcoal into a tasting glass the bandaide flavor was gone.

Now at this point my experiment worked in theory but because the charcoal reacts with oxygen as well and is more effective in warm verses cool temperatures the beer was warm and flat.

My next step will be to try 2 things; one to treat as above but with a beer that has been chilled to see if I need to increase the amount of time I stir or if I need to increase the amount of charcoal I use.

Next I am going to try mixing with a chilled, highly carbonated no taste BMC type beer as a way to "treat and drink", gaining only carbonation from the BMC and hopefully retaining true flavor of my beer.

I am also going to try re-priming/recarbing a few bottles.

I have three cases of the stuff so I'll be messing around with theories as they come to me.

So don't throw it out if you have a place to stash it out of the way and are willing to perv it.

Stay tuned and I will keep you posted ( :P ) on how my experiments progress.

:cheers:

Brewbirds, I was just about to do the deed when I read this message. That was a close one. Luckily, I have the space to store it. I have a 1.5 cases of this brew. If I can save it I'll be pretty happy. I will be looking forward to updates.