Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
awq134

Lagering temps... how important are they

I was thinking of getting the new "May the Schwarz Bier With You" recipe, but am not sure i would be able to keep my fermenter at the correct lagering temp.  Is there an easy solution to this, or will i need to buy more equipment?  The room that i usually brew in stays right at 70 degrees with temp changes of less than a degree in either direction.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to love this recipe because i've been in Germany for the last two weeks and this is the type of beer i've been drinking almost by the gallon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well true lagering temps are like 52 F  Mr Beer, at least the recipes I've been doing, are all ales, which ferment at a higher temp. I have been making some pretty good beer and my temps are horrible, like  right around 74F, so 70F would be even better. Doing a true lager will require a fermentation chamber, and holding the temps in the low fifties.

Monty

That recipe uses lager yeast (nearly all of Mr. Recipes use ale yeast).  Therefore, you MUST hit the temps.  You can do this via a cooler (per one of your other posts with this question), but you'll need external thermometers to monitor things and lots of ice bottles and ...

In short, don't attempt a lager until you've done quite a few ales and you have the equipment to do it properly.

I thought this might be the answers i would get.  I suppose i'll just have to fit as much beer from over here in my suitcase as possible so i can enjoy some when i get home.

Again, i apologize for all of the other posts, i was unaware that they were actually posting due to the error message.

I'm sure there will be folks to disagree but I learned over the course of 10 or so batches of varying lager styles the S-23 does just fine without any drop temp lagering at all. Just watch temp closely during two week fermentation (60-64 works nicely) and after bottling it ages just fine at room temp. 

Liquid yeast? Whole 'nother discussion...but this is my experience with Saflager dry. 

Really, liquid yeast isn't any different than dry yeast in this regard...

As mentioned, you are using ale yeast (unless you specifically bought lager yeast), so the 70 degree temp would likely be OK, though I like to be in the 62-66 range for my ales.  The risk you run is getting off flavors if your temps are too high.  And remember...  ambient temp of your room is not the temp in the fermenter.  I've had temps 4-8 degrees higher in the LBK than the room temp.  The little temp strips you can buy through Mr. B (or at the pet store) are your friend...