Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
cubias.carlos@gmail.com

Sediment on the bottle

After I bottled my very first batch i waited for a good 2 weeks to open one bootle, then when I open and taste it it was fine, but it had some sediments on the bottom of the bottle.  Is there anything that I can do to prevent sediments?  Do I need to filter my beer before I bottle it?    

Welcome to the forum Carlos!

The sediment is normal for bottle conditioned beer. It is the small amount of yeast left in suspension falling out and clearing your beer. It is needed for proper carbonation.

You can drink it in your beer if you like, myself, I pour and leave it in the bottle because I find it bitter!

Enjoy the obsession!

welcome aboard! 

the junk in the bottom is how you know youre drinking the good stuff! home made!  if you are using 1 liter plastic bottles there is a special cap device i think called sedex? after you screw it on before the bottles carbonate, you flip the bottles upside down. as the yeast work their magic the trub (troob) or yeastie gack will settle out into the cap. i think it's just a pointless gimmick that you really dont need unless youre really uptight about not drinking yeast. 

when you pour just do a slow, careful, continuous pour into the glass.. stopping when there is about 1/4 inch left in the bottle. that bit you can discard. i like to drink it. it gives me b vitamins and i like the taste usually.

warning though: until your stomach gets used to drinking live yeast you might get really bad gas and possibly the runs.

hi welcome to the forum.  like they said no issue. just to add to what zorak1066 said.  if your using the 1lt pet bottles then pour it into a pitcher first then to a glass/glasses to avoid trub in the second glass.

Your beer would be even better if you wait longer before putting it in the frig and drinking it.  Try a bottle at 3 weeks (then 2 days in the frig), one at 4 weeks, ...  and you'll see what we mean.  

They have to be at room temp to continue to condition.

You can also try cold crashing your beer for 3 days prior to bottling. This can help to reduce sediment too.