Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
full_too_pale

Cidery taste still

My Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner, with two LME pales, still has a cidery taste to it. It fermented for 20 days, and has been in the liter PET bottles for over six weeks now. I just tried a bottle last night that was in the fridge for 5 days, and STILL the cidery taste, and it tastes nothing like any Pilsner I have ever had. What did I do wrong? I sanitized everything properly, and I maintained a steady temperature of 70 degrees. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or am I stuck with this shitty beer?

you've done nothing wrong. with that much lme added it just needs more time. i only added 1 to a cerveza and it took nearly 8 weeks to condition out.  you used twice as much

I agree with everything Jim said. Also, even though it is called a Pilsner, the Grand Bohemian as sold uses an ale yeast at ale temps. The taste will be different from a true Pilsner. I have brewed it as a true lager using s-23 lager yeast at 55 degrees and the result was much closer to a true pilsner. I also added a pound of light DME and added some saaz hops.