Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
losman26

Should I pitch more yeast?

I just did an IPA with an OG of 1.074, with a final volume of just under 4 gal using a packet of dry Danstar's West coast yeast.  I did not rehydrate but did aerate with o2 for 2 minutes. According to Mr. Malty it says that I need around 203 billion cells.  I did not pitch 2 at the time, because I only had 1.  I did pick up two more packs yesterday.

My concern is that I might not have enough cells, because I did not rehydrate.  Right now the batch is actively fermenting (day 4), and would adding another pack of this yeast do any good?  I'm thinking of just letting it ride out.

Thoughts?

I would let it ride. The beer will ferment out with the amount of yeast that you added - even though it's under-pitched. The difference is that you are going to get more esters and flavors from the yeast than if you had pitched the suggested amount.

Because you under-pitched the yeast had a more aggressive growth phase and therefore will be contributing more flavor. At 4 days in the compounds created by the yeast to create the taste profile have already been set and pitching more yeast won't change that.

Unless it's severely under-pitched you shouldn't have to worry about it under-attenuating.

Just my thoughts. 

I agree with Ron but looking at mrmalty.com, it shows for 4 gallons and dry yeast that 1 packet should be enough.  Though, I personally like to reydrate mine when it's that close and I'm above 1.060.

UPDATE-

so after 11 days the gravity has dropped from 1.074 to 1.014.  Right where it needs to be, and taste seems a little fruity/ sweet, but I'm guessing that the 2 oz of zythos hops used for dry hopping will improve things.  I can definitely taste the alcohol in this one, although it's not terrible.  I just thought this yeast would be a little cleaner.  It's my fault for not pitching two packs.

When all is said and done, after I finish my last two packs of dry yeast, I'm only gonna do liquid yeast.  I never have any off or unexpected flavors with liquid yeast, but always do starters in advance, and decant.  The last couple batches where I have used dry yeast, just sprinkling it ,haven't turned out so good.  I'd rather just spend the time on the starter ahead of time, and not have to worry about re-hydrating yeast on brew day.  After all, I already have enough to worry about- sanitizing my carboy, plate chiller, tubing,better bottle spigot, airlocks, o2 wand, etc.  You almost have to time the re-hydration process perfectly.