Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mchsraider

Monster Created

After discussing the potential of brewing my own beer with my wife she nixed the idea because she didn't want the house smelling like beer.  For our one year anniversary she surprised me with a MrBeer brewing kit.  I just bottled my first batch (Classic American Light) and can't wait to see how it turns out.  I'm reading everything I can get my hands on to learn how to brew bigger and better beers, but I'm also glad that I'm starting simple.  The monster she created will last for years to come, and I look forward to drinking my own brews.

Congrats!  You made beer!

the experienced folks here recommend 4 weeks room temp for carb/ conditioning.  My first batch was also CAL, it took 8 weeks for the ciders taste to mellow out, yeast may not be fast but they do keep working.  Be patient, enjoy, and be the Monster!

Agree with whynot about the conditioning time on CAL. Don't get discouraged if at first it's not very good--the conditioning time really is important for all the Mr. Beer refills but the CAL in particular seems to benefit from it. If you feel experimental, I suggest you label one with the date and put it in the fridge at 3 weeks conditioning and then one each week after that. When they are all in the fridge taste them and compare.  I tried to do that but About half the samples were consumed before they were all in. The first one was cloudy, the rest clear, and the flavor was really good by the 5 week point. FWIW, refills that I have particularly enjoyed when brewed without any additions are the Patriot Lager, Bewitched Amber Ale and the Oktoberfest. I love the Spring Seasonal, although as some of our comrades have pointed out for a "White IPA" it's more white than IPA, and I don't know how much longer it will be available.

Welcome to the forum and the obsession.

hi welcome to the forum.  ignore the 2-2-2 instructions that came with the kit and use 3 weeks in the LBK (little brown keg) 4 weeks carb and conditioning time (on the shelf room temp. minimum) 3 days in the fridge

Welcome to the Borg! Brewing is great fun, and I'm happy my wife brought me my first kit for our anniversary last year.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Mastering the basics will pay huge dividends in the end.  Proper sanitation, temperature control, and patience are of the greatest importance.

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome!  I'm glad my blossoming hobby is so full of friendly people.  I originally worried that I would have trouble learning how to brew, but now I realize that any question I have can be and has been answered already.  With a community so welcoming, I'm surprised everybody doesn't brew their own beer!

WELCOME!!!  Do not worry it only get to be more fun,  One bit of advice say good bye to your money LOL!!!