Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrownstotheBone

Batch Priming from the LBK

My second bottling attempt (batch) will be in about a week. First batch I did measured cane sugar in 4 Grolsch and 7 1 liter PET's.

I would love to mix it up this time with some 12oz, a liter or 2, Grolsch bottles again ect....

From what I gathered whether it's a Slimline or another LBK you would mix up the sugar with a small amount of water, heat/boil and add it to the secondary when cool. Then use a length of tubing that would allow the beer to swirl on transfer with as little air as possible. Stir lightly, and bottle. (everything sanitized of course) 

Am I missing something? Anything?

Does everyone use cane or do some like corn sugar? I see that with the calculator for 2.14 gallons of beer it's 4.13 Tbsp of cane sugar. Does this sound right? I just want to make sure I don't make bottle bombs with my 2nd batch so looking for reassurance.

Does the hose connect to the Slimline for the bottle wand if you use that? I'm cloudy at this point. Thanks for any help!

BrownstotheBone said:

Am I missing something? Anything?

Does everyone use cane or do some like corn sugar? I see that with the calculator for 2.14 gallons of beer it's 4.13 Tbsp of cane sugar. Does this sound right? I just want to make sure I don't make bottle bombs with my 2nd batch so looking for reassurance.

Does the hose connect to the Slimline for the bottle wand if you use that?

Nope, you aren't missing anything.

I just use table sugar.  I use about 60 grams per LBK batch, not sure what that is in tablespoons.

I use another LBK so can't comment on the hose fitting a Slimline.

never used a slimline but you have to stir (very slowly so as not to cause bubbles or whirlpools)  occasionaly while bottling to insure the sugar and beer don't stratify (i stir every 4 bottles). i use screwy's calc.  for priming amounts. i've used both cane and corn sugar with no noticeable flavor differences.  4.13 is what i get also assuming you want 2.5vols. below screwy's  calc is a chart to help you decide on carb rates by beer type,i.e. pilsner, American wheat, etc.

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html

You seem to have the process right.  As for the amount of sugar, at about 2 teaspoons or slightly less per liter, 8 liters would be about 16 teaspoons or less, which at 3 teaspoons to the tablespoon, would be just about 5 tablespoons, or less, so I think your amount is good.  If it's a little less or a little more, it's not the end of the world.  The amount you gave, 4.13 tablespoons, should work just fine.

Thank you very much for the info guys! 

I happened to pick up an extra LBK during the sale. So let me see if I have this right.

Are you transferring the beer from LBK1 (up higher) to LBK 2 (lower) the same way? Just some tubing from the spout laid into LBK 2, then light light stir (occasionally throughout, thanks Jim) and bottling? 

Yes.  Pour in the sugar solution, turn on the upper LBK's tap, and gradually increase the flow, not letting it bubble.  When it's done I give it a very gently stir after I remove the hose.

BrownstotheBone said:then light light stir (occasionally throughout, thanks Jim) and bottling? 

Just my two cents, but I've never stirred after I've begun bottling, never had any problem or inconsistencies in bottle to bottle carbonation. 

Once again thanks. I wonder why this process seemed so "scary" a few weeks ago and now seems like a great idea?

Appreciate all the info! 

Jim Johnson said:  4.13 is what i get also assuming you want 2.5vols. below screwy's  calc is a chart to help you decide on carb rates by beer type,i.e. pilsner, American wheat, etc.

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html

Right. That's where I got my 4.13 

I just wanted to hear someone tell me I did the calculating right before I went and bottled it. You know how these first times are....  ;-) ...now I have some confidence. Thanks!

BrownstotheBone said:I wonder why this process seemed so "scary" a few weeks ago and now seems like a great idea?

Trust me, we were ALL at the "scary" part of our brewing at one time or another.

Now alot of it is just 2nd nature and we wonder what the big deal was.

I found that a milk crate put one LBK at the correct height for transfer to the other.

Inkleg said:
BrownstotheBone said:I wonder why this process seemed so "scary" a few weeks ago and now seems like a great idea?

Trust me, we were ALL at the "scary" part of our brewing at one time or another.

Now alot of it is just 2nd nature and we wonder what the big deal was.

I found that a milk crate put one LBK at the correct height for transfer to the other.

I noticed that in the "fast action" vid. Ever since I've been thinking "milk crate!", "milk crate!". LOL 

@BrownstotheBone...Don't use your bottling wand to transfer your beer into the LBK with the priming sugar solution.  I did that once and it was a tedious exercise in patience.  Just use tubing for the xfer.  Use the wand when bottling.