Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beer-lord

BIAB calculations

Once again, Beersmith is giving me way to much water for my BIAB.  I even cut it down 1/2 gallon and I'm still going to have to boil an extra 30-45 minutes to hit my numbers.  What's up with that? 

I've got my pot info in correctly but find other calculators on the net more accurate.  Oh well, it's just extra propane wasted and an extra hour in 94 degree heat.  Not that I have a problem with that!

Have you figured your actual boil off amount?  I thought I had mine right until I filled my kettle with 5 gallons of water and boiled for an hour.  I found out that I was off by almost a half gallon.  

Just checked my kettle calibrations for gallons and it's almost dead on.  I actually boiled more than I needed and came out with 5 gallons instead of 5.5 no biggie. Hit 1.094 instead of 1.089.....now officially the biggest beer I've brewed.

I do think part of my problem is I'm not use to my new, 15 gallon kettle and the boil off still seems to be about 1 gallon an hour, maybe a tad bit more.  I'm just going to follow another spreadsheet program I use instead of using Beersmith for water amounts.

Paul....have you actually taken the time to figure exactly what your boil off is?  I don't mean to question your ability or your knowledge....God nows you've been doing this a lot longer than me, but......

I am using a 10 gallon kettle that is fairly wide at the top.  I thought I had mine set correctly until I boiled 5 gallons of water for an hour and then measured what was left.  I had mine set at 1 gallon, but my actual boil off after the test was 1.55 gallons.  So your boil off of 1 gallon just seems low to me.  But I also don't know what equipment you are using.  Without an actual test, your boil off might be more than you think.

And if you have done an actual test, please ignore my entire comment.  And accept my apologies on being too forward.

Chris, one can never know everything about brewing but I did know my old kettle like the back of my hand (what does that REALLY mean?).  But, I'm still getting use to this new, 15 gallon pot so maybe that's the problem! 

I think after today, I may have it down so I'll try next week again (if I have to) and brew another batch to see where I stand.

What to brew?

Paul  I use a 15 gallon kettle too I have my boil off rate set @ 1.5/hr   Do you account for trub loss?  Ball-valve?  As we know it is often the most little thing trowing us for a loop.  When I went to the 15 gallon set up.  Everything was off.  Dummie here (me) also totally changed my brewing methodology!!  Made for some interest results to say the least 8^P

I do account for trub but I'm sure I'm not losing that much in an hour, I'm between 60 and 90 minutes and closer to 60. Next brew I'll keep my watch going and make a note as it boils away. 

But, I'm definitely going to use another calculator that is closer to what I'm seeing instead of following Beersmith.

However, even if I followed Beersmith exactly, including trub, the OG would have been way off.  This time, I barely squeezed my bag and I usually squeeze the bejezus out of it and get a lot of good wort from it.  That would have made it even more so.

In fact, anyone who wants to can tell me what they'd do with the following info:

Total grains: 17.71

total hops (in boil) 8 oz

Boil off 1.2/hour

kettle diameter 17 1/8"

kettle height (inside) 16 5/8"

This is the same basic info I used for my smaller pot and it was almost dead on....the only exception was my smaller pot was a lot closer to 1 gallon per hour boil off.

one thing I have noticed here in MI is on a humid by boil off is less.  In the winter it is very high, we heat with wood == dry house, the boil off is higher.  It is just something I have noticed with my rig

I won a bet last year when I bet a friend that on dry and winter days, I had less boil off. He looked it up and found out it was true (but I only got 1 beer out the bet).