Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MtwoH

Brown Sugar

I am 110% new to home brewing with Mr. Beer.

I like brown sugar and I would like to add it to a batch of Mr. Beer. Can I add it to the wort to give it some "flavor" and increase alcohol content. I already did with my classic american lite that came with it and now I fear it was for no reason (it's only 1 week in the bottles so far).

Craigtube did it with brown sugar with good results (according to him) and I wanted to copy it. Any comments/replies would help. Thanks everyone!

PS

Also, does anyone have a really good, and simple Mr. Beer recipes for rookies like me?

I'm not really sure how much flavor you'd get out of the brown sugar.  A lot of the flavoring will be fermented out.  You wouldn't want to add more than a cup of it a Mr. Beer size batch.  No more than that and it wouldn't impart a great deal of flavor while at the same time it wouldn't thin your beer out too much.  It will bump your ABV up though.

Anything that you add - honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, molasses will have the same effect.  The sweetness will disappear during fermentation, leaving behind the other flavors in the sweetener, raising the ABV, and in some cases thinning / drying out the beer.

The remaining flavors on many of these items are not particularly nice, most notably maple syrup and molasses.  Since the site search doesn't yet work, try Googling and you'll see what I mean.

In short, if you want a certain flavor in a beer, you have to find a way to impart it, usually with steeping grains.  For example, honey malt imparts a honey flavor.  A small amount of the grain, steeped in a pot for 30 minutes, then added to your wort, yields honey flavor.  It also is very cheap given the small amount needed.  

You can look at a grain chart like this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart to see a) what can be steeped and B) what flavors it might impart.  

If you're trying to increase ABV, add up to a pound of pale LME or DME.

Or use small amounts of extracts while bottling, ie maple extract.

Brown sugar being made from Molassis might just be alright. Just make sure the pancakes are ready at the same time for this new syrup, lol

Add a pound of LME or DME to a standard to 2.5 gallon Mr. Beer batch right?