Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beerisme

chest freezer / fermentation chamber question

Want to use a chest freezer w/ a Johnson Control to keep temps in certain areas.  Will it hurt the unit if it does not stay or go to the freezing point?

Many use it this way with no problems.  The only thing to look out for is it cycling too often.

Thank you for the help, but to be sure, what would you say is too often?  I am looking to get one that is 5 to 7 cu feet.

The Johnson Controller has a built in differential setting that you can change to minimize excessive cycling. Trade off for less cycling though is less precise temp control. 

Thank you for the link, it was what I was looking for.  Cant wait to gt hooked up and running now.

Which one are you gonna go with?  I'm selling my mini-fridge and am going to buy a chest freezer next week.  I'm probably gonna go with a 5 cu one, although a 7 sounds tempting.  I want to be able to fit two corny kegs, which most 5 CU ft ones do, and be able to fit one carboy on the main floor when I don't have the kegs in there.  This would serve great for cold crashing or bringing the pitching temp down faster during the summer time.  For example, this summer I'd run my finished wort through a plate chiller which would bring it to the high 70s, low 80's in this heat.  After that I'd throw it in my wine fridge, but the compressor is way too weak.  If I have the option of throwing a carboy in a freezer, I'd be able to bring the temp down to the 60'swithin minutes.   With my wine fridge, I constantly have to defrost the damn thing, because the temp will not go below 45 if I don't.