Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
teutonic terror

Flameout hops steep

Finally gonna try the new forum out!

I'm going to do a Nelson Sauvin SMaSH this coming Friday.

This is a recipe I've been tweaking for a few months now and I think i have it close to where I want it.

One thing I'm going to do different is steep the hops at flameout instead of dry hopping. I've never used this procedure and I have a few questions.

I've done some reading on this and I've seen where some people add the hops after the wort has cooled below 180F. Is this necessary or can I add them after taking the wort off of the flame?

Also, with BeerSmith they have an "Aroma" hop option on the recipe setup. I take this is the hops steep option.  It also allows you to adjust the time for the steep. I think 60 minutes would be extreme, but I also think 10 minutes would not be enough time.

Any experience or suggestions on time?

I've done a 'hop stand' for 10 minutes and another for 20 and can't really say I've  noticed much of a difference at all.  I'm thinking you need 30 minutes or so but for me, nothing has beat dry hopping and lots of it. 

Often I let things sit a few minutes for chilling anyway and most of my beers are IPA's and have lots of late additions that really add to the aroma and flavor.

Thanks Beer-lord!

It's a procedure I've seen mentioned several times here and elsewhere that I've been wanting to try.

My recipe isn't bad, but I'm looking for the aroma and flavor to have a definite "pop", if you know what I mean!

Also, I'm in the tweaking and revamping mode because I'm dis-satisfied with my finished product lately.

I'll give it a try for 30 minutes and if I'm not satisfied with the results, I can revert back to dry hopping!