Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manowarfan1

Good recipe for using up Pilsner malt?

Howdy again Borg - hope everyone is sticking with the board even though the "growing pains" make it a pain in the behind.

In doing an inventory I noticed I have 2 5lb bags of crushed pilsner malts. I think at the time I had originally planned on doing something light for summer (kolsch) but it seems that time is rapidly disappearing (of course now it will stay hot on the east coast for 6 more months).

Anyone have any good or recommended recipes using Pils as a base malt? I am doing stovetop mashing or biab, and sticking with MrB sized batches unless there is a way I can cram it all into my 8 gallon pot and use that one on the electric stove. I do have the Ale Pale setup as well for fermenting the 5 gallon batches.

Part of me is thinking of going all Nikola Tesla and using it as the base for a barleywine or something, taht would clear out all the malt, get me something fermenting that I can age a long time, and potentially be something unique (though not necessarily good lol).

Another possibility is a fall/winter/pumpkin type of ale - oh yeah, don't have lagering ability yet but getting closer to being able to get the new fridge and temp controller, maybe a month or so out. Gotta sandwich it in between road trips of which several are upcoming.

Cheers

jeff

Well, with 10 lbs of pilsner malt, you can pretty much make about 5 gallons of wort, which can either go into your 5 gallon pail or split into 2 LBK's.  That would be a bit light of a beer, but that's really a matter of taste.  Since it's already crushed, I would agree with you to use it all up at once.  Do you have any specialty grains you can use as well?  You can do almost anything you feel like doing.  If you want to keep it very light, that's fine.  If you want it darker and/or heavier, add whatever you like to it.  I like brown and black beers, so more often than not, I add whatever it takes to a light base, extract  or grains, to make it more to my taste.  You can basically do anything you want to do, which is the beauty of it all.

• Like 1

Yeah Joe I have a bunch of crystal malts - some dark, some of the lighter and a bit of medium. I know tha twith Pilsner malts you gotta go 90 minutes on the boil etc in case of DMS but was not sure if I could use it as the base malt for a stout or a porter or a pumpkin or winter type of beer because it starts out so light.

I am actually looking forward to the fall and winter brews after having my first summer with humidity etc in 25 years. Looking forward to fireplaces and darker beers.

Cheers

jeff

So I found a potential recipe or at least grain bill for a Pilsner Malt based IPA/APA not sure how it would taste but it might be unique or something different at least. Probably only use one LBK for this until I see how it turns out - so a 2.5 gallon batch. They listed % so I would need to figure out the actual amounts, and then figure out a hop bill from the hops I have below, but how does this look to anyone with experience using Pils malt:

67% Pilsner Malt

13% Munich (I have 10L and also a real dark munich malt - I don't worry about color)

8% Caramunich (I also have caravienna and a few other beligian grains I need to use up)

13% Flaked oats

For hops - not sure if I should go with something I have a lot of (Cascade, Warrior, Williamette all close to a pound), something old I need to use up (even though still in foil packaging - like Galena, Falconers Flight 1 oz packages) OR something that seems to be more european in light of the Pilsner malt (hersbrucker, tettnanger, northern brewer) although this will be done in an ALE style as I do not have the ability to lager just yet so I am not trying to do a Urquell type beer just yet.

Oh also I still just ferment everything in a single vessel (LBK in this case) although I may grab a couple of secondary fermenters as we go forward and I start doing 5 gallon batches more frequently when I have a fridge with temp controls)

I want to try to get this one done on monday and clear the decks for later in the week to get something dark going that can hopefully start aging for the winter months.

Any thoughts? Experienced hands out there? I don't think I have had any Pils malt based IPAs but I believe there are some out there and I have had PrimaPils from Victory but that is more a lager so not sure it would apply in this case.

Cheers

jeff

Also saw a beersmith podcast with Gordon Strong and he was using Pilsner Malt in a pale ale. Using 90% of grains split between 2 row and pilsner and 10% Munich (light). Some Galaxy and Cascade and 1968 ESB yeast - hmmm

Cheers

jeff

OK here is a thought- please stop me if this sounds insane. Kill two birds with one stone - use up some Pilsner Malt AND make a pumpkin spice beer? Insane? Could I use half the base malt as Pils and the rest two row then throw a little Crystal for color and go from there?

I also wanted to try my hand making a jalapeno beer before these peppers i bought go totally bad (I dont eat them) - Pils seems like a nice light base for sometyhing like that.

Thoughts? Any Borg still here? Feels so lonely - hope they get some of the functionality back in this site before everyone scatters to the wind.

Cheers

jeff

Opened a Czech Pilsner bottled n March. That came out nice, good malt taste and clean.

1 can Czech Pilsner HME

1 Pale LME/DME

Use ~ 3/4 distilled water ~ 1/4 tap water (for clean taste) - you have to figure what water to use for what. 

Probably  Initial Cold water in Keg - Distilled from Fridge, boiled 4 cups from Tap,  fill up with cold distilled. 

Brew as lager using S-23 yeast

Dry hop with 0.5 oz Saaz pellets.

Have you ever made a Champagne Pilsner?  Pretty easy and if you have an LBK it is a snap.  

I would just use  5# of the pilsner 

Saaz Hops at  60, 30, 0 (.33 oz each)

I prefer Wyeast 2112 (california lager) it ferments at ale temperatures no problem (you have to aerate) or Fermentis 34/70  You can ferment primary (till krausen falls) at 65 F, then into a fridge for 3 weeks... Boom! clean crisp clear lager.   I did something similar and posted about it on my blog. 

http://counterbrew.blogspot.com/2015/09/you-can-go-all-grain-lager-with-your-mr.html