Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Btech117

Cloudy Beer!??!?

SO My mr beer kit came with a Americn Classic Light (Which at the time i brewed 2-2-2) I purchased a week later the American Ale. This I also brewed a 2-2-2 And a Summer Seasonal which I had just bottled when I came to the site to find yall , and was informed on the 4-3-24hr Method, Which Fermenting now is Patriot Lauger, and Boisenberry Tart.  SO theres the back ground here is the problem: 

My American Classic came out "Alright" it tasted a little cidery, but drinkable and i am about out of it now after botteling 22 bottles. A week later I take my American Ale out of the fridge and pop the top take a sip ..... AND THROW UP! Its cloudy, taste like CRAP, and looks like baby milk. (I can only assume I didnt ferment long enough?) That day I rotated my Summer Seasonal to the fridge and noticed on the bottom of each bottle, it looks like the sugar crystals or a fuzzy surface on teh bottom of the bottles (I was carefull not to get any of the foam at the bottom of the LBK when i bottled but looks like the same stuff (Does this mean my summer Seaonal will too taste like crap? Why did my Americn Classic Light come out ok and the American Ale come out like crap? I hope my summer seasonal will be ok as this is the one I looked foreward to drinking the most ) 

My Patriot lauger just came out of 3 week fermentation, I carbed my 12 oz bottles with 3/4 cup white sugar, and filled and capped - they will sit by the swamp cooler for 4 weeks. If my First 3 batches were a failure Id like to know what im doing wrong so i can correct this on my Patriot Lauger. I also kept it in a fridge with a Johnson Controller Right at 20 deg C. for the 3 weeks it was fermenting, At this time I have 2 empty LBK's and would like to solve the problem before continuing with my Boisenberry Tart, and American Porter. 

Any help and sugestions would be appreciated. 

Well first with the build up at the bottom of the bottle that is from the priming sugar that you add to make the carbonation, that is perfectly normal. With the Classic American light that "cidery" taste can come form high temperatures or swings in temperature during fermentation.  For the American ale if you fermented it for 2 weeks it should have turned out okay, it should mostly be done. The only thing that I can think of is you got some type of infection in the batch. It depends on what you tasted though, what you find undrinkable could be okay tasted by someone else. What specific off flavors were there in the beer? Also you said it looked like baby milk, which if that is the case could lead me to think that there could be an infection in that batch.  The Summer seasonal should be fine as long as everything had been cleaned and sanitized when you made it.  That is my opinion on what could have happened. Also my first batch was the Classic American light and I also tasted a bit of the cider taste, but about 20 brews in the last 3 months has really help my brewing skills. Now they all turn out well. I say make sure everything is really clean and sanitized and keep brewing!

I don't know what the 4-3-24 hr method is, so I can't comment on that.  The most common recommendation on this forum is 3 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks room temp in the bottle (referred to as 3-4 usually so as not to confuse it with the 2-2-2 method sometimes explained which includes the last 2 weeks in the frig).

Once you complete 3-4, you should refrigerate for several days.  However, whether you do 1 day (24 hours) or 3, the beer should not taste bad.

All your bottles should have a small layer on the bottom which as robertl6 said is a by-product of the sugar converting to carbonation in the bottle and the trub is the waste product, just like in the LBK.  You should be pouring the bottle into a glass, slowly, trying not to disturb the trub or pour it into the glass - usually the last 1/4" is wasted.  

If after a few days in the frig it's still cloudy and tastes bad, you should lookup the taste on Google (although "crap" isn't usually listed...) and see what type of problem you might have had - could be an infection due to poor sanitizing, but without specifics on the taste it's impossible to tell.

I suspect you'll find that the most recent brew is fine if you sanitized correctly.

CRAP = Cloudy Milkey EXTREMILY Sweet .... idk . i had to spit it out after a second of it being in my mouth - and i know it wasnt  just a beer i didnt like, it didnt even look like beer looked like foamy caremel colored milk and tasted about the same. all 22 bottles were that way - im using the Idsophor (spelling sucks) that is listed on the site now and hope that fixes my problem. Maybe it was just one batch i did somthing wrong with. 

So the little fuzzy "Moon dust" looking stuff on the bottm of the bottle is normal? Should i mix this into the beer or just pour the beers into glasses? is there any way to bottel the beer with out this happening while still reaching peak carbination? i like to take my beers with me in a cooler for trips and such and usualy dont bring a glass with me.... 

BTW I posted that wrong its a 3 Week Fermentation , 4 Week condition at room temp and 24+ hours in fridge as you said Rick. Sorry was a typo. Thats how my 4th beer is scheduled, its in bottles now sitting for the next 4 weeks. (Holding patience is hard, especially when I know this one will come out right!) 

PS Why would MR beer sugest a 2-2-2 rule if the beers arent even fully fermented?

The 2-2-2 rule in most cases will fully ferment the beer, and it will taste good. The Borg suggest more because most people do not use hydrometers to check the beer, sothe extra week is just to ensure fermentation is complete. To be honest I have fermented every one of my beers at 2 weeks and have not had any issue with them. There is no way to get rid of the trub on the bottom of the bottles, that is what is going to happen from the carbonation forming. When you add the sugar to the bottles the yeast ferments that just like it does in the LBK . You do not want to mix that up let it stay at the bottom of the bottle and like RickBeer said pour it into a glass and try not to kick any of it up into your glass. Form what you are describing about the taste and color of the beer I say it seems like an infection.

Do not get disheartened. I am only 4 batches old and have produced1 batch which I enjoyed and got good compliments for.

The most important things for you to focus on -

Sanitation 

Sanitation

Temperature control

Sanitation

Now you get the idea. Read as much as you can about is so you can introspect which aspect of sanitation might be getting messed up. Are you using star San? Are you cleaning the work area first? are you being outdoors? 

The solution and good beer are not far...

/Sam

I am not gona give up - Im loving this and its a challange at this point. I just got done with my Summer Seaonal (the Very last beer that i brewed with the 2-2-2) It came out good but all 3 beers I have sucessfully completed (one infected) all still taste "Cidery" like apple Cider. this cant be normal they all have the exact taste and i keep telling my self its Under Frmented, To let them ferment longer (thus why i switched to the 3 Week Ferm, 4 cond like the borg says) I just hope now that i brewed my 2nd batch this way that they will both come out ok with out the cider taste