Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bvaupel

Help!! I want to "defuse" a potential bottle bomb.

While adding priming sugar, I accidentally added 1/4 tsp too much to one bottle.  I use 12 oz. bottles, and 3/4 tsp per bottle, and have never had a problem.  I am going to keep that bottle separate from the rest, and am thinking that after 1 week put it in the fridge instead of the usual 2-3.  Will that help decrease the changes of a 'bomb?

The extra 1/4 tsp will probably not be much of a problem, but go ahead with your plan as a chance to learn about the carbonating and conditioning process.  I normally bottle my first one and last couple in plastic, instead of glass, to verify the carb'ing and get early sneaks at my results.  To get a direct comparison, you could put the one with extra sugar in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks while the others condition normally, and compare the results side by side to compare the conditioning.  The cold will stop the yeast from doing their normal job. 

Another note:  Mr Beer's 3/4 tsp of sugar per 12-oz bottle is actually over-primed.  I usually use 1/2 tsp and am satisfied with the result. 

No worries.

Back when I bottle-primed, I would typically use 1 tsp. of priming sugar per 12 oz. bottle for all my wheat beers.

I know someone (a member of this forum) who bottle-primes all his brews with 1 tsp. per 12 oz. bottle.

my .003 Euros...

Just put your suspect bottle in a large zip lock freezer bag. if it pops, well, it's pre-bagged.

if you put that one in the fridge, you know all the yeast activity stops. So, if you were going to try and compare THAT bottle with the rest, it's still gonna be green while the others matured.

I may have a similar issue.  I followed the MrB instructions for priming and put much more sugar (2.5 t per liter) than what I'm seeing recommended here. Should I anticipate some liquid fireworks? I bottled last Sat.

I use mostly 12 oz bottles and for most styles use 1/2 tsp per bottle. Dominos Dots are a quick and easy way to do this. 1 cube = 1/2 tsp.

Mr. Beer recommends 3/4 tsp. per 12 oz. bottle, and 2.5 tsp. per liter.  You need not worry about bottle-bombs when using these amounts.  Back when I bottle-primed, I always primed with the amount recommended by Mr. Beer and I was happy with the results.  Some brewers prefer a lower level of carbonation and therefore use a lesser amount.  It all comes down to personal  taste.

Thanks, Pack.  Good to know I'm not going to come home to old beer stench in my house.

3 weeks to go!

I guess this brings up another question. How little sugar will work? I generally don't care for highly carbonated beer so I will probably use much less in my next batch. How little is too little to properly carbonate?