Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RaleighBrewer

A Trub Question

Since trub forms as a result of the fermentation process, is the amount of trub in any way related to the ABV of a beer?  For example, do higher ABV beers generally produce more trub during fermentation than lower ABV beers?  Or it is not related at all and has to do more with other factors like the ingredients, yeast, temperatures, etc?

This is just more of a general curiosity type of question, as I've noticed varying amounts of trub when brewing my first few batches as a beginner.

I believe that it would, it is hard to tell in the LBK's since they are only 2.5 gallons, but if you are brewing a 5 gallon, epically all grain you see more build up at the bottom. I am referring to the sediment build up in general, yeast and trub at the bottom. In the Mr.Beer kits though if you compare a refill to a recipe, lets say 4% ABV to 8% ABV  the recipe 8% ABV will have more sediment at the bottom of the keg than the 4%.

I appreciate the feedback!  I had thought that may be the case, but was not sure since I have only brewed 4 batches thusfar.  For my last one I brewed using both a craft HME combined with a standard HME, which produced a higher ABV brew.  I noticed that had quite a lot more build up in the bottom of the LBK than the one I bottled yesterday, which was a Cerveza (made from a single 3.5lb Muntons HME in an LBK).

There are a lot of variables..yeast type- high or low flocculating variety, amount of hot/cold break that made it into fermenter, hops added for dry hopping etc.  It will vary from batch to batch and is not always in proportion to ABV.

No problem! Yes, that is a lot more malt in there so there be more sediment build up for sure. Just wondering but what two HME's did you combine? 

my only problem with mixing HMEs is you wasting beer. you just used 4 gal worth of hme to make 2.5 tops probably only 2 gallons.  instead of mixing hme's add a ume(dme, lme) instead.