Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian N.

Ordering MB American Ale and patriot larger

I have not tried these two. What is the general opinion of each. Are they good as sold or need some additional malt or hops? I'm open to many styles of beer, so I'm just curious as to the experience of others who have brewed them. Thanks to all who respond.

I think they are good as is, they got good taste them. I always say if your just doing the Mr.Beer refills try the deluxe refills. Always adds a little more flavor and body.

I have yet to brew the Patriot Lager, but I agree with robertl6.  The standard refills are good straight up, but even better when you add 1/2 lb. (or so) of DME or LME. 

The Patriot 'Lager' HME is pretty good I think. The American is a little more bitter, but about the same color, maybe a bit darker. The Patriot isn't really a lager, but an ale. 

My favorite Patriot Ale recipe is 

MB Patriot HME

1 Pale LME

1 Booster. (or 2 cups honey)

Tastes good and will be about 6% ABV. I actually prefer the honey to the booster. 

As always 3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks in the bottle. 

Monty

I recently tried a bottle of Patriot Lager I brewed up back in Feb.  I wanted to use up some hops I had on hand so I added in 1/4oz. of Glacier hops boiled 7 mins.  Fermented 3 weeks and they have been sitting bottled since mid-late Feb. and it's probably my favorite brew I've had since the Cooper's buyout.

Thanks. That is a long time in the bottle, but obviously worth it. I like the suggestions of the extra hops and malt.

Yea not sure if the time in the bottle was what made it so great or not.  It wasn't my intent, that's just how things happened.  I have used Glacier hops in another brew and they seem to add a nice finish to the flavor.  I would recommend them.