Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kjuckett1025

Oktoberfestivus and Pumpkin Weis

Hey all,

been awhile since I've been on the boards. Wanted to run a question by the more experienced members. Assembling two kegs today, one Octoberfestivus, one Pumpkin Weis. 

From past experiences, I usually pick up additional yeast, as it seems to help give a better ending product. I picked up 3 additional yeasts with my order ( had four batches in total ). The yeasts are;

Bavarian liquid

wb-06 dry

us - 05 dry

Now I know the Bavarian works well with Octoberfest. I expect to mix half the liquid in with the batch, along with the pre packaged can yeast. ( correct me if I shouldnt do that as well ).

My main question is would the Bavarian liquid work well with the pumpkin weis as well? Id hate to throw away a half pack of liquid yeast, but then again, dont want to use it on the pumpkin if it'll throw it off too much.

Thanks for the help in advance!

kyle

I would recommend using the entire amount of the Bavarian Lager Yeast with the Oktoberfest standard refill.  Lagers require a higher cell count to ensure proper fermentation.  Keep in mind, when using lager yeast, you will need to ferment at lager temperatures.  If this is your first attempt at a lager, then some preliminary research will pay huge dividends.

Edit:  If the Bavarian Lager Yeast is used, do not use the packet of dry yeast under the lid.  You can save it for a later brew.

Interesting, didnt know that about lagers, so thanks for the heads up on using the whole pack.

my basement is typically in the 55-60 range. I do have a spare refridgerator in the basement, that I could likely tweak to get in a 45-50 range. Would it be wiser to do that?

If you are attempting to make a true lager then you need to get that spare fridge of yours down to lagering temps, I am  not familiar with that refill so it may be a lager or just an ale. As pointed out above you will probably want to use the whole liquid yeast but if not, you could always make a starter and pull some of that starter aside and save it for future batches (look for Screwy Brewer posts or washing yeast or just go to his site).

As expensive as liquid yeast is, kinda smart to save it again for future uses. Not sure what way to go with the pumpkin as I know it generates a LOT of trub and not sure which yeasts go best with it, if you want something that will eat thru a bunch of it or you want something that will leave certain flavors, your choice I suppose.

I will be looking to do some of these style beers as well so maybe I will just subscribe to this thread - DOH!, can't do that yet can we?

Cheers

jeff

The temperature range for the Bavarian Lager yeast is 46 - 58 degrees.  I would highly recommend staying within that range.

So then the spare fridge sounds like a winner. Any objections packer?

I typically ferment my brews for a full 3 weeks. Do the same with the lager?

Do you have a temperature controller for the spare fridge? If so you are all set - if not, may want to put a thermomether in there and see what the various settings get you in terms of temp. As long as you stay in the range you should be fine but if you can keep the variance to within a degree or two - awesomeness.

Cheers

jeff

I have only brewed one lager recipe, so I am certainly no authority on the subject.  I did a lot of research where I found varying opinions on the subject.  I also solicited some advice from a very trusted source, and he guided me thru the process (thanks, oly).  I didn't take any shortcuts.  It was a long process, which included 3 months conditioning in a secondary.  I chose to keg it and force carb.  In the end, my "All-American Lager" turned out great, even better than expected.

You will need to make a few determinations prior to brew-day:  Will you warm pitch or cold pitch?  How will you maintain a fermentation temperature within the recommended range?  Will you use a secondary?

My son just arrived from Wisconsin, so I must go.  I'll dig up my notes and share them later.  Don't start the lager until you settle on your process.  Continue to research via internet, and ask a lot of questions.  Others will most likely post their opinions/advice.

So Ive used liquid yeast in the past, and I recall after popping the pouch it expanding rather quick. Its been an hour and Ive seen no expansion, and yes the pouch is popped. My only worry is that it is summer, and the package was delivered on a warm day. I cant say how long it sat on my stairs before it came inside, and I know the yeast is supposed to be stored at a low temp.

So, if it doesn't expand, should I use a dry yeast instead, or just go with it and it will be fine?

Sounds like the Wyeast smack packs. With those be absolutely sure that the little nutrient pack within the pack is also broken or open. I am sure it would be alright even without it but it does help it get off to a better start,

An hour is probably too soon to expect to see it swell up, they say to allow up to 24 hours I think. If nothing else you can snip the corner of the pack when you absolutely have to pitch and just dump it in - sanitize the scissors, maybe even the outside of the yeast packet. Then if after a day or two your fermenter doesnt have any trub on the bottom yet you can always pitch some dry yeast.

If you go by just looking for some krausen at the top of your LBK you could miss it and think nothing is going on, but if you have trub at the bottom - the yeast is doing its thing.

Cheers

jeff

I had the same issue with liquid yeast I ordered from Mr. Beer.  It took a solid 24 hours fro the packet to swell solid.  I think in the direction it says to smack the packet a day in advance anyway.  I guess with it just more waiting for the beer.

With lagers there is not as much visual activity as you would expect. All the guys have given you great advice, but I just wanted to let you know that it looks a bit different from the normal amount of ale activity with the nice big foam layer on top, you may not really ever see that, I thought I'd failed my first batch of lager, but it was fine. The peak arrives later as well, so about day 4-6 rather than within a couple. If you can keep it at a steady 53-55 you're in great shape, and it may take 18-21 days to fully clear. The yeast is hardy though, so I wouldn't expect any issues with it.