Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Roscoe1855

Wondering

I ordered a few recipes and more kegs now I am thinking about just buying some ingredients to have on the shelf. How long can you store the ingredients without them going bad and also how do you decide what yeast you would need other than look at descriptions is their just a few that work better than others? Sorry I tried going back on the older threads but couldn't find anything really that explained it or I didn't understand what they were saying thanks

Liquid extracts will darken over time, but other than that they will be good for a couple of years in stable storage conditions like you would use for other foods.  Dry DME's color is more stable.  The yeast that comes with Mr Beer HMEs is good for a variety of styles, and as you gain experience, you will naturally start to try other yeasts for specific beers.  You could do an organized comparison sometime in the future to learn about their character, or use what you will find in published recipes. 

keep hops in the freezer and yeast in the fridge (i keep my dry yeast in the butter compartment)

As far as I can tell, no it has not yet been added.  But then again, Ive been told I have the ability to overlook the obvious.  :)

The search window is at the very top of the page, just under where your name/log out is listed.  I don't think you have to be logged in to use it.

Tabasco said:I'm gonna try searching on Tabacker.

I wish I was drinking a Tabacker!  I think when they "finalize" the search engine function, we'll be much happier with the forum overall.  At least I know I will.  It currently doesn't work very well.