Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
scoopdjour

Booster

When I made my first batch of West Coast Ale, it came with a bag called Booster or Alcohol Booster. Now I have a can of the Mexican Cervesa and I saw in the recipes section, a recipe that calls for booster. Is this just pure sugar? If so, does anyone know how much is in the bag? I dont need to purchase the recipe kit because I have everything else required. FYI, it is that Chili- Lime recipe.

information at mr beer.com.says booster is corn syrup solids they don't recommend using cane sugar it will give your beer a dry taste and leave a cider after taste that will take longer to condition out .most here recommend using the brew max lme softpack.

You said that you were in agreement with RickBeer but he said to use a 1/2 lb of LME and you said DME. Now im confused  :....(

I brewed the West Coast pale Ale with the booster and even after 8 weeks in the bottle, it still had a mild cider like taste. As others suggested use a DME (dry malt extract) or a LME (liquid) I would use one pound of light  DME for more body and flavor. Not sure of the conversion from dry measure to liquid, but I guess 8 fluid oz of LME would be a good addition rather than booster.

DME is dried LME.  Or, LME is wet DME.  The conversion is:

1 lb of DME = 1.25 pounds of LME.

1 lb of LME = 0.8 pounds of DME

DME stores great.  LME, if you buy it in a can, stores great.  Once you open it (or if you buy it in bulk), it goes bad eventually.  I buy bulk LME for several recipes at once and refrigerate the remainder for 3 - 4 weeks or so with no issues. My LHBS will fill my containers with any amount, so I can get a bunch of 0.5 lbs, or one full of 7 pounds.  Whatever I want.

I add a pound of LME to all Mr. Beer batches, but I like malty beers and don't care if I skew the flavor profile.

As a foot note:

If you store opened LME, put a thin layer of vodka on it. That will keep any "bugs" or other stuff from getting to the LME and allowing it to last longer. Just say'n

I'm gonna start brewing of Partytime Pilsner tomorrow, so I have all ingredients but you guys recommend to use a DME instead of a Booster.. If I put a 1/2lb pouch of Mr.Beer LME Smooth (yeah, already I have..) instead of a pack of Booster, can I get better result?

Yes, either LME or DME will give you a better result than booster.  The Smooth LME will be darker than Pale would be, but personally I think I would prefer its slightly richer flavor. Best of luck with it!

Foothiller// appreciate your reply!

What a useless item a Booster is.. ( at least for me..) I'm gonna enjoy the effect of Saaz hops and the Smooth LME :laugh:

I'm not going to throw out my inventory of booster since I don't think it's useless, but I'm still working on finding its best uses.  One thing I'm hoping is that a partial bag can work like maltodextrin for head retention, while LME or DME give the beer most of its character. 

A great way to boost your ABV without adding any flavor profile is using Agave nectar.  It is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar and as far as I can tell leaves no flavor or color influences.  Also works great for a bottling primer.

Can't argue with that, but I've never been one to trash Booster.  It fits sometimes.

Also, don't put your nose up on good 'ol cane sugar.   Within slim ratios, it's a good kicker.