Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DIRT in my beer

storage question

I was just curious. It's been too hot to brew here lately. So I was wondering, if I could buy a recipe now and brew in the fall. If so, what should I do to preserve everything correctly? Extra money is hard to come by, and if I don't get some recipes now, I'll wind up wasting it on other stuff. lol Please help. Thanx in advance - Daryl A.

If you are just buying the cans of extract they will be fine stored unopened, same with some dried malt extract. Grains if you were using them, and had them crushed before shipping, wont fare as well but still be useful especiallly if they are stored in baggies and inside an airtight food container, Yeast needs to go in the fridge and hops in the freezer, other than that you are good to go.

I hear you about the heat - i moved to the east coast almsot three months ago now and it is prolly 80% and humid IN the freaking house. Doesnt cool off at night here like it did in Colorado either. And I dont have a basement/beer room (yet) but when I do it will be the garage and sunroom and require air conditioner, crikey.

Cheers

jeff

As Jeff mentioned above, just keep your yeast in the refrigerator and the hops in your freezer.  You'll be fine.

One other thing I might mention - if the recipe you are thinking about ordering now contains liquid yeast, you probably want to check into how it is shipped and whether or not they use cold packs for shipping.  For dry yeast, you'll be OK shipping in the heat.  Myself, I prefer to get liquid yeast at my LHBS.  But many have ordered liquid yeast online without issues.

Rick